#BEA15: By the Books

BEA is a great conference for many, many reasons (not least of which the opportunity to meet other book people left, right and center), but it is, at the end of the day, really all about the books. I didn't bring too many books home with me--at the end of the day, I'd just as soon request digital galleys as they weigh significantly less on the train home--but here were those I did end up with:



A Window Opens, by Elizabeth Egan (August 2015): From the BEA Speed Dating event, pitched by the publisher as a story about a woman's quest to "have it all."

The Double Life of Liliane, by Lily Tuck (September 2015): I've had Tuck's first novel on my shelf for years; her second promises to be excellent.

Eileen, by Otessa Moshfegh (September 2015): Lots of buzz around this one. I'm intrigued but skeptical.

Scrapper, by Matt Bell (September 2015): I never had a chance to read Bell's earlier novel, In the House Upon the Dirt Between the Lake and the Woods, but I heard enough things to be sure to swing by Soho's booth to pick up a copy of this one before I left.

And West is West, by Ron Childress (October 2015): The answer to the, "What book are you most excited about?" question at the Algonquin booth.

The Wake, by Paul Kingsnorth (September 2015): The answer to the, "What book are you most excited about?" question at the Graywolf Press booth; this one promises to be a trip of language and creativity.

Did You Ever Have a Family, by Bill Clegg (September 2015): You literally could not turn sideways at BEA without seeing this book somewhere; I'm a bit skeptical of the hype, but I still can't wait to start it. (Bonus: The local bookstore in my town has already read this and says nothing but good things.)

Dear Mr. You, by Mary Louise Parker (November 2015): Another one with lots of buzz that I'm attempting to go into rather blind--if at all possible.

DC Trip, by Sara Benincasa (November 2015): I didn't get a chance to meet Benincase while she was at the show, but she tipped me off on Twitter that I could swing by her publisher's booth to ask for a spare copy of her upcoming novel. Of course I did just that.

The Mark and the Void, by Paul Murray (October 2015): I loved Skippy Dies and almost jumped for joy when I saw this available at the show. I'll be reviewing for Shelf Awareness.

Black Man in a White Coat, by Damon Tweedy (September 2015): Another one from the BEA Buzz panel that promises excellence.

In a Dark, Dark Wood, by Ruth Ware (September 2015): The first of two novels (the other being the Clegg novel) from a new imprint, Scout Press. I started this on the train ride home. Can't wait to keep going.

---

Reviews of each of these, as covered, will run closer to publication date. And stay tuned for one more #BEA15 round-up post full of divinely gorgeous cookbooks.




No comments

Thanks for stopping by!