A Bit O' Irish For You

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh!
(A Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!)
rough pronunciation: bahn-ach-tee nah fay-leh paw-drig uh-riv

I'm home nursing a cold and preparing for a business trip tonight instead of out drinking green beer and Jameson, but I can't help but sport a little Irish pride. I did marry a McHugh, after all.

I have a host of Irish-themed books I'd been aiming to read by now, so I could be a proper blogger and feature timely, seasonal reviews on this blog. Alas, real life got in the way (surprise), and those Irish-themed books are still sitting on the Irish-themed bookcase (yep, a whole bookcase of them) waiting to be read. Included on the list:






What am I missing (besides Ulysses, of course)? What are your favorite Irish books, be it history, fiction, poetry, or some combination of them all?

3 comments

  1. Aaaagh, you just had to mention Ulysses (I'm a bit traumatized by my recent readalong). My Saint Patrick's Day resolution is to never read Joyce again. How very un-Irish of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I actually really enjoyed Dubliners (of the four above, that one's a re-read). I've read exactly one chapter of Ulysses. They are very different, I can say that much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Irish poetry, especially Eavan Boland. I'm reading Irish novels this month as well and have been enjoying everything so far!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!