Epitaph for Benjamin Franklin (Quote of the Day)

Given that I posted about my desired tombstone earlier this week, I thought it would be fitting to continue the theme with this week's quote. Below is the epitaph for Benjamin Franklin, which, like the man himself, proves witty in its prose:
"The body of Benjamin Franklin
Printer,
Like the covering
Of an old book
Its contents torn out
And stript of its lettering
And gilding
Lies here, food for worms;
But the work
Shall not be lost,
It will (as he believed)
Appear once more,
In a new
And more beautiful edition,
Corrected and amended
By the author." -Epitaph for Benjamin Franklin
Want more epitaphs? Discovering Epitaphs, published by Shire (yes, I work there), is out next month. I just saw copies this week, it's a neat little book. Maybe that's why I keep posting about graveyards...

1 comment

  1. That is excellent. What a witty guy. I keep meaning to read a biography about Franklin. I know it's fictitious, but I like the bit about Royal's epitaph in the Royal Tenenbaums.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!