Welcome to Baltimore... or should I say "Bawl'mer"?

I am now an official resident of Maryland! I even bought a car. So long, NYC. Hello, suburbs and water and boats and driving to the grocery store.

In honor of my move, I naturally looked around for good MD-area blogs to follow... and HOW EXCITED WAS I to discover Reading Local: Baltimore, which is both a Baltimore blog AND a book blog? I'd encourage even non-Baltimorons to check it out, as they have some really interesting stuff going up.

I enjoyed one of their posts from last week, in which they excerpted a passage from Henry James on the consistently mis-pronounced nature of place names. Baltimore is one such name:

Can you think of any other places that suffer the same fate? New Orleans "N'awlins" comes to mind.

In other Baltimore-book news, Finny, by Baltimore-born author Justin Kramon, is now available. I'll be reviewing as soon as I get all my books back from storage - I didn't mean to pack that one! - but in the meantime, check out the buzz:

Baltimore and New York in Finny, by Justin Kramon (from Reading Local: Baltimore)
Book Review: FINNY by Justin Kramon (from The Book Lady's Blog)
New Releases for Summer (from the New York Times)

12 comments

  1. Hey you, aren't you lucky. Maryland is beautiful. Happy times ahead.
    Readaholics Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo hoo! Welcome to MD :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in Baltimore!! You will LOVE the Fells Point section, you must visit that spot! And then you need to also visit Annapolis -- gorgeous! Laura Lippman is from the Baltimore area and has some pretty good mystery/suspense novels, check 'em out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats! I just read The Other Wes Moore which is set in Baltimore (I hope you've moved to a different part of town than where this book is set). It was really good. My review will post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! I'm really looking forward to exploring.

    Carin, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on The Other Wes Moore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the move!!! Enjoy your new city.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your new home! I envy you being able to discover new bookish haunts . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. enjoy baltimore but don't go rooting for the oreos! any self-respecting former new yorker knows better! :) go yankees.

    as for accents and mispronunciations, long islanders slay me when they say they're from 'lung-eye-lind'. hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nat - Sad to say I was never much of a Yankees fan to begin with (my fiance is from Massachusetts...). I stick to the Orioles for hometown pride (I grew up in MD back in the day) and to maintain some peace and quiet, as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do not say Bawl'mer! Neena will hunt you down and squash you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's like Coffee and a Book Chick said- You need to also visit Annapolis. It is gorgeous.

    Welcome home.

    This one is humble, but I like it:
    http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/books/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yea for Baltimore! I may have already told you this, but I graduated from Loyola. And Mom is still practicing yoga and meditation in Annapolis! So I get to Maryland at least once a year. Thanks for the link to the blog, I'm going to check it out....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!