"The Warmth of a Cold Nose"

No, not that kind of bundle of love.* We brought a dog home this week. It wasn't an accident; in fact, it was rather well-planned. He needed a home, and we needed a new creature to love.** It worked out quite well, all told.

He's curled up in the sunshine on the floor next to me as I write this, all 34 lbs. of him, with two cone-shaped ears sticking straight up. Every now and again he hears something turn over in the dryer -- I think there's a penny in there, or maybe it's a whole quarter, and I can treat myself to a gumball after I fold -- and he'll perk his head up, ears erect, body stiff. But only for a second, and then he relaxes again. He's settling in. We're settling in.

Welcome home, Indiana.*** Good to have you. Please, stay a while. Just stop waking up at 5AM, yes? That's an unholy hour for being awake.

---

* My husband used our decision to adopt a dog as an excellent way to freak out his parents, setting up the "big announcement" with this little gem: "Kerry and I have something to tell you all. We thought you should know that we have decided to add to our family..." Yeah. I was beet red.


** Just please don't tell the cat I said that.


*** He's named after the dog after which Indiana Jones was named.

7 comments

  1. Look at that face! Adorable!
    And I love that he's named for the dog Indiana Jones and not Dr. Jones himself. Well played.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo cute! I love dogs and Indiana looks totally worth a snorgle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what does the cat think??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's currently refusing to leave our bedroom.

      Delete
  4. How sweet. Did you get him from a rescue? I think having the dog at home is one of the best benefits of teleworking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww he is adorable! Congrats on your new dog :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!