Looking Ahead: May Highlights

May's a big month for book releases, with publishers prepping for summer reads and Memorial Day weekend officially kicking off beach reading (OMG I'm already packing my sunscreen). It's also the beginning of the summer movie series, which means tie-ins and related reads abound. And last (but certainly not least, thanks for reading, Mom!), May is the month of Mother's Day, which means yet another influx of books about mothers and daughters, none of which are featured below. But not because I don't love my Mom. Just because those books don't look as good as these do:


Call Me Zelda, by Erika Robuck (NAL, May 7) I read Erika's Hemingway's Girl last year and loved it, and that was before I found out she was a local-to-me author. Don't doubt for a second that I didn't jump at the chance to read her newest novel, which focuses on a fictionalized friendship between the real Zelda Fitzgerald and the imagined nurse Anna Howard. This one's perfect for fans of Z: A Novel of Zelda (St. Martin's, March 2013), and will hit shelves just in time for the May 10th release of the new Gatsby movie. Oh, and if you're in the Annapolis area, Erika will be reading and signing at the Annapolis B&N on May 10th.

Good Kings Bad Kings, by Susan Nussbaum (Algonquin, May 28): I finished this last weekend and it took me over a week to write a review for Shelf Awareness, simply because I couldn't find the words to express how wonderful this is. And heartbreaking. Telling the story of the dysfunctional and often cruel ILLC, a nursing home for juveniles with disabilities, it will make you reconsider every assumption you've ever made about what it means to be disabled--especially when you lack the resources or support that so many of us take for granted.



The World's Strongest Librarian, by Josh Hanagarne (Gotham, May 2): The title alone is enough to make me want to read this one. The publisher's blurb claims that the book "illuminates the mysteries of this little-understood disorder, as well as the very different worlds of strongman training and modern libraries." Sign. Me. Up.

Homeward Bound, by Emily Matchar (Simon & Schuster, May 7): I read Jessica Valenti's Why Have Kids? last fall, and have had my eye out for more in the same vein ever since. While this tackles overall domesticity, not parenting and motherhood specifically, it sounds like it will scratch all kinds of thinky gender-study itches. The sociology minor in me is squealing with delight.

---

And look, I even ended up with an entirely accidental even split between fiction and non-fiction - just like my April recap. I'm sensing a trend, here, friends.

8 comments

  1. I haven't heard of Homeward Bound before but I am intrigued and can't wait to see your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw this one on NetGalley recently and it looks so fascinating to me. I'll definitely post when I read it!

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely looking forward to Call Me Zelda, since I didn't like Z. I'm hoping its better - sounds like it should be. And, I'm looking forward to that long weekend of reading and good eats, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read both Z and Call Me Zelda, and they are both very different approaches to Zelda's story. Sorry to hear you didn't like Z (it was slow at times, but I actually really enjoyed it)! And I can't wait for that long weekend of reading and eating. It can't come soon enough!

      Delete
  3. I've got Good Kings Bad Kings on my shelf at home and have been debating it. I look forward to seeing your review for Shelf Awareness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is excellent. It's not a difficult read (I read it over a weekend), but it covers a lot of tough subjects. I'm still in awe of Nussbaum's ability to create--and maintain--so many completely unique character voices in the novel. Each chapter is told from a different point of view, and she nails it with their personalities, which really makes the story feel so real.

      Delete
  4. YAY! I cannot wait to read Homeward Bound. I just bought 2 books today. One, a vegetarian cookbook for myself for Mother's Day, and the other, Orphan Train, for my next book club meeting. But I WANT Homeward Bound. A second Mother's Day gift, maybe???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I have an ARC of Orphan Train and was hoping to review it, but unfortunately couldn't squeeze it in before the due date for a Shelf Awareness review. I made it 40 pages in before I had to turn to other things, but really liked what I read!

      And yes, definitely a second Mother's Day gift is in order here.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!