Baltimore Book Festival: Tell Me Again How Reading Is Dead


I didn't make it to the National Book Festival this year, but I did make my first foray up to the Baltimore Book Festival. How is it that I've lived in Maryland for the majority of my life and never been to this event? Couldn't tell you, but I'm glad I finally did.

The Baltimore Book Festival, though held the weekend after the National Book Festival a mere 30 miles away, is a very different event. Authors still speak in tents, but the pool of authors tends to be more local and talks smaller--and therefore more intimate.

In addition to author talks, bookish vendors set up around the Washington Monument (this Washington Monument, not that Washington Monument) and up and down the streets of Mt. Vernon. New books, old books, book-themed t-shirts; literary magazines, flyers for upcoming writing contests; tours of the literary monuments of the city, of the Peabody library; and people, people, people.

Please, tell me again how no one reads anymore.


I left with 6 books (most from a used stand, so I spent a whopping $7.50), an Out of Print Gatsby sweatshirt, a slightly sunburnt nose, and a renewed faith in Baltimore's continuing literary tradition.

9 comments

  1. This sounds SO great. I'm really bummed I didn't make it this year, but I'm definitely going to try to get there next year. Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really great event (the awesome weather didn't hurt, either).

      Delete
  2. This sounds like so much fun! Stuff like this makes me want to move to a larger, more bookish city. My city is... not really. And no one EVER comes here. Stupid NYC steals all the attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NYC totally steals the attention. And I, sadly, did not take advantage of all the great events when I lived there.

      Delete
  3. What a great event! I'm with Sarah, wishing I lived in a more bookish place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find Maryland pretty sparse for reading events, but at least I can get to DC when there's an author I'm really excited about!

      Delete
  4. Woo hoo! Yay for book festivals and a reminder that reading isn't dead.
    p.s. You got the Gatsby swetshirt! I've been eyeing that on Out of Print's site for a year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I've been looking at it forever too, and they had it there, and in my size, and slightly discounted, so I caved and just bought it already. :-)

      Delete
  5. This is the first time in many years that I HAVEN'T made it to the Baltimore Book Festival. I'm glad to see that it was another great event though ... makes me even more sad that I didn't make it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!