Week in Reading: June 20th

It's the summer solstice! Officially the longest day of the year... and it's a gorgeous one here. Unfortunately I'm stuck inside work work working in preparation for vacation (it's a good problem to have), but I was able to get out and enjoy the outdoors this weekend with a Summer Solstice 8K on Saturday night and a trail run in gorgeous mild temps on Sunday morning (see also: why I haven't been reading much lately).



I didn't read much last week, but I did meander through Robert Moor's On Trails, a truly impeccable work of narrative nonfiction exploring how trails can help us understand our world (trails including everything from fossil trails to ant trails to elephant trails to the Appalachian Trail). It's spectacular, and chock full of fascinating information; keep an eye out for it on shelves July 12th.

This week, I'm loving Here Comes the Sun, a beautiful, heartrending, lush novel of Jamaica and her people. And I'm hoping to fall into some summer releases I'm hearing raves about: Homegoing, by Yaa Gyasi; Darktown, by Thomas Mullen; The Girls, by Emma Cline

I'm also keeping two physical books with me as I look ahead to some upcoming travel: The Long Shadow of Small Ghosts, by Laura Tillman (which is not exactly uplifting vacation reading, but as this month's selection for the Social Justice Book Club, one I do want to finish by the end of the month) and When Women Were Birds, by Terry Tempest Wiliams. The latter I've been putting off reading until I have a quiet moment to myself, and I'm hopeful this next trip might provide that.

I'm sure I won't get to all of these, but I'm hoping that a week of reading by feel and not by deadlines will open my mind back up to everything I love about reading, warding off what could become an otherwise miserable summer slump.

---

What are you reading this week? And do you change your reading habits when you feel a slump coming on?


---

No comments

Thanks for stopping by!