#SJBookClub: Retirement Edition


I started the Social Justice Book Club in 2016 after a semi-joking Twitter conversation with fellow non-fiction lovers Shaina and Shannon turned into a chorus of "I'd join that!" type tweets. We read our first book--Just Mercy, by Bryan Stevenson--in April of that same year, and things took off from there.

After the election in 2016 and inauguration in 2017, there was an even greater clamor to read more, to understand more, to empathize more with the issues at play on both the domestic and international political scenes, especially as those issues related to matters of social, racial, and economic justice. The club grew. We moved to Slack. The ever-incredible Janani joined me as a co-host in 2017. We developed a massive list of potential books to read some day.

But now, roughly two years after it started, it's time to close this chapter. As I wrote recently, 2018 is all about re-allocating my time and energy. And as much as I've loved #SJBookClub (and I think Janani would echo me here), I just haven't had the time or energy to do it justice of late. So it's time to say goodbye.

The archive of the books we've read will continue to live here, and I certainly don't expect to stop reading--or writing about--books centered on themes of social justice any time in the future. I hope you won't either, and I hope you'll continue to share your book recommendations and thoughts moving forward. If there's interest, we can try to share the list of potential books we worked up at some point in the coming weeks.

I can be reached at ofabookworm AT gmail DOT com, on Instagram or Twitter @kerrymchugh, on Litsy @kerry, or here on this blog. (I'm admittedly not particularly active on Twitter of late, and generally bad at answering emails. But I'm trying.)

No comments

Thanks for stopping by!