The Borrowers Arrive on BBC

Does anyone else remember The Borrowers, that darling book in which little people live in the walls of a house and borrow items from the owners? I'd say it offers a perfectly plausible explanation for all those items that seem to disappear from my house for no apparent reason: an earring back, one sock, the tweezers, that rubber band band you know you left on your desk. Seriously, borrowers. Where is my rubber band ball?

I loved this book when I was a kid, and I vaguely remember loving the 1997 movie version featuring John Goodman. And now BBC is bringing the stories to the little screen with a 90-minute adaptation of The Borrowers set to air this Christmas season. Who's excited!?

9 comments

  1. Do you remember the cartoon The Littles from the 80's? I wonder if it was based off of the idea of The Borrowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this series as a kid too: the covers too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the TV series that came before the film, with Penelope Wilton and Ian Holme...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Kerry, I remember those ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw! With Christopher Eccleston and Stephen Fry! I am excited! I am!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! This is one of my absolute faves from when I was a little girl and my copy is now falling to bits...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even more exciting, I was going through the fall book release catalogues at the store the other day, and they're coming out with a lovely box set of The Borrower's books! Actually, I think the covers are like the one you've posted. I think it's from Houghton Mifflin, but I can't remember for sure. Wait, here, though no picture: http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/catalog/titledetail.cfm?titleNumber=1194842.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this book. My mother used to read it to me all the time when I was a child. I once told my mom that one of the borrowers stole my stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Recommended for families with children ages five and older, The Borrowers explores the definition of home, through a teenage journey to discover independence. Representing a world of characters just five inches tall, the stage is set to make the audience feel tiny in a massive world. Director Whit MacLaughlin merges the big and small onto one stage with this family classic, just in time for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!