Reading Outside Is Better For You, Anyway

This week, the New York Times ran an article on the effects of too much time spent indoors (and therefore with artificial indoor lighting) on myopia. In short, it argued, scientists believe that too much time spent with artificial light, and therefore not enough spent in natural outdoor light, results in higher rates of nearsightedness.*

The suggestion, therefore? A recommendation to "satisfy tiger and soccer moms alike: if your child is going to stick his nose in a book this summer, get him to do it outdoors."

Personally, I love this recommendation. Though Shelf Awareness Pro suggested that instructions to spend more time reading outdoors could mean a higher demand for e-readers than can be read outdoors, I find that my good, ol'-fashioned p-books work just as well indoors as out, and I aim to spend as much time as possible sitting outside reading this summer. Of course, I can't see more than 5 feet away from me without glasses anyway, so maybe it's too late to avoid myopia. But I'll be outdoors with my book(s!) regardless.

What about you? Do you read outdoors when weather permits? Do you have specific books that are better for reading outdoors?

---

*In which "eyes fail to grow correctly and the distance between the lens and retina becomes too long, causing far-away objects to look blurry"

9 comments

  1. I love reading outdoors. I've missed it so much because in North Florida the humidity is murder, and in my neighborhood, mosquitoes seem to be *the* thing, so reading outside doesn't last long. Can't wait to move to Va Beach next month-ish - if memory serves me correctly, I don't remember battling those pesky little things quite as much there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think indoor lighting affects my eyes no question - thanks for the proof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good! This is very timely! This is all just in time for my move to an apartment closer to a park. From now on I shall read only in the park, unless it's very hot outside, in which case, I shall still read inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read everywhere. Doesn't matter that I live in rainy rainy Manchester. Indoors, outdoors, up cliffs, in the bath, on the train, in tents...everywhere. That's the beauty of reading :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had a place outside to read! I live in an apartment now but dream of the day I'll have a nice porch or big back yard in which to lounge with my book. Few things are as enjoyable as sprawling in the shade with a novel and a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids and I love reading outside but I worry about sunburns and eye strain from the direct sunlight. I'll go out with them, but I make sure they're wearing hats and sunscreen and I've got my reading sun glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to read outside, and have been doing it for many, many years. But one big problem is that in later life I am told that cataracts will develop from too much sunlight. It's like needing
    vitamin D so you go into lots of sunlight and get skin cancer. Oh well

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading outdoors, but I always get headaches from squinting, so I make sure to wear my reading sunglasses! The outdoors just relaxes me with a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing lens. I felt interested while reading your sot. because It has a plenty of information about entomology of a bookworm. Anyway, I've enjoyed reading your sort because it is informative and very impressive. Thank you.
    Reading Glasses with Light

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!