2011 Man Booker Longlist

The 2011 Man Booker Longlist was just announced, and - surprise! - I've read exactly 0 of the books on the list. Ok, not a surprise. I generally find that I haven't read many books on lists, because my reading tends towards books assigned to me for review and backlist titles that I'm still trying desperately to catch up on. But it was a surprise (to me, at least) that though I am familiar with a few of the authors on the list, I knew only 1 of the titles on the list: Jamrach's Menagerie.

So... have I just been living under a rock, or are these titles more obscure than those on past lists?





The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
On Canaan’s Side by Sebastian Barry
Jamrach’s Menagerie by Carol Birch
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt
Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan
A Cupboard Full of Coats by Yvvette Edwards
The Stranger’s Child by Alan Hollinghurst
Pigeon English by Stephen Kelman
The Last Hundred Days by Patrick McGuinness
Snowdrops by A.D. Miller
Far to Go by Alison Pick
The Testament of Jessie Lamb by Jane Rogers
Derby Day by D.J. Taylor

Note: The last two aren't even listed in Indiebound, so clearly I'm not the only one who hasn't heard of them, right?

2 comments

  1. I like lists. Someone else has done all the hard work here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see a renowned book blogger sharing my opinion. With this type of prize lists, I'm always thinking: where are these books coming from? How come I follow so many book bloggers, I am every day at the library, and I've hardly heard about any of those?? This time, there is only one I have heard of quite a bit: The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt - but not exciting enough to add it to my TBR... Emma @ Words And Peace

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!