A Poem a Day, Inspired by NPR

NPR has done it again: inspired me to do something I never thought I'd do. This time: read poetry. Alan Heathcock, author of Volt, wrote recently on NPR about his impulsive decision to start reading a poem a day. With breakfast. At Jiffy Lube. Wherever. They are "portable, peaceful, perfect."

While I know myself better than to expect that I will be able to sit quietly with a cup of tea and a poem every morning (I'm too likely to oversleep for that), I own several poetry anthologies and have access to the internet almost every waking minute of my life, so I am going to do my best to read 365 poems this year. I've always wanted to learn to read poetry, to learn to appreciate it, to actually open the anthologies I own. Hopefully, like Heathcock, this exercise will prove to be a "poem each morning, to sustain me through my days with the faith of an egret stepping over every dark thing." At the very least, I know I won't run out of poems.

Who's with me?

2 comments

  1. Huh. NPR inspired me to WRITE a poem a day. Good luck to both of us with our challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I've challenged myself to read at least two poetry chapbooks a month and really get a feel for which poets I like. So far, I've discovered Rachel Zucker (LOVE her) and Mary Oliver (also good).

    Good luck with your challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!