Help! Best Books for Travel?

Ok, all. I know I've been scarce lately, and I owe my little corner of the blog world a little attention, and about a dozen reviews. But before I get to that, I want to ask for your help. I'm travelling to Italy for a week next month and am looking for book recommendations. What to take along?

I have The Once and Future King (mass market paperback) pulled out as I figure it has a lot of pages packed into a small package; plus, I've been meaning to read it forever. This will be the only paper book I bring along*, as I need something to read during take-offs and landings and other non-electronic times, but I have limited suitcase space (read: I'm a chronic overpacker).

I figure I'll go in for the 2nd and 3rd books of the Hunger Games trilogy for some fast-paced plane reading.

But then I feel like I should be reading Italyesque books. Or travelogues. Or wistful romantic literature. Or books about the Renaissance, or train travel, or Europe, or the finer foods of Tuscany.

Help.

---

*Except for the Tuscany travel guide that Thomas from My Porch sent my way when I last posted about traveling to Italy months ago, which was really thoughtful and nice and much appreciated, and which is just further proof that book bloggers are awesome.

5 comments

  1. You have an intriguing book on your nightstand though. I'd love to read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Secret Book of Grazia dei Rossi. It's a chunkster, and drags at times, but if you want a book about Renaissance Italy to read while in Italy, this is my suggestion.

    Le Road Trip is an oversize hardcover, and a new release, so it's not all that portable/practical, but it's fun and gorgeous and a fabulous book about travel (although it's about France). Still, if you need a book to get you in the mood for traveling, I'd highly recommend it!

    Vroom with a View is a fun travelogue about traveling around Italy on a Vespa. Traveling without Reservations isn't about Italy, but rather traveling all over the world and learning new things. That's one of my favorite travelogues. Alice Steinbeck (I think) is the author and she has another book out that's similar, although I've forgotten the name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Italian Days" by Barbara Grizzuti Harrison is a great Italy book. Or - I know, I know - I really enjoyed "Un Amico Italiano: Eat, Pray, Love in Rome" by Luca Spaghetti. Made me want pasta and a trip to Rome. Have a fabulous time in Italy! I was planning to go this year, but plans changed. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Sardinia-Classic-20th-Century-Penguin/dp/0141180765

    or

    http://www.amazon.com/Room-With-View-E-Forster/dp/0451531388/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334750206&sr=1-4 (obviously)

    hope you're well, prettyface!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, Italy. I've been three times, and it is one of my all-time favorite places to travel. There are a couple of good books by Sarah Dunant that are set in Italy, like Birth of Venus. There's also Brunelleschi's Dome, which is FABULOUS. And if you go to Florence, you'll appreciate a lot of the historical references.

    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!