Audiobook Review: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams

I might, just possibly, be one of the last people on earth to read this book. And good thing I got around to it, too, because according to Douglas Adams, there is a very real chance that an alien race may just be planning to demolish Earth, simply because it is in the way of a proposed transportation route.

The premise of  The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the first of a "trilogy in five parts," is actually quite simple: Earth is destroyed, and Ford Prefect (an alien previously stuck on Earth for lack of a ride on which to hitch-hike) and Arthur Dent (a normal human, just like you and me) are the only two survivors. Eventually, they find their way to the lone, abandoned planet of Magrathea, previously known for its planet-building exploits--except that it is not so lonesome and abandoned after all. The resulting storyline is comical in its twists and turns and most unlikely of coincidences (conveniently explained away by the existence of a devise meant to make the most improbable solutions probable after all), as Ford Prefect, Arthur Dent, a depressed robot, the two-headed President of the Galaxy, and a bunch of mice try to figure out the meaning of life.

What is so strikingly glorious about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, besides the fact that the first book is narrated on audio by none other than Stephen Fry himself, is the humor and the wit and the philosophy contained in what is otherwise a series of bizarre coincidences and strange plot turns. Adams can make one laugh out loud and think for long periods of time, all with the same sentence, and I'd argue there's not many an author that can do that (just as there are not many narrators who could have so well highlighted this humor as Fry does).

I'll definitely be back in to pick up the rest of the trilogy/series/whatever it is best called, and will continue to scold myself for having waited so long to finally start. Also, 42.

---

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy | Douglas Adams, nar. Stephen Fry | Random House Audio | 2005 (originally published 1979) | Audiobook | 5 hr 51 min | Buy from an independent near you


8 comments

  1. I've seen the movie but haven't read it yet either. I know!! I do have the audio book downloaded on my computer so ill be listening to it soon! Stephen Fry is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didn't even know it was a movie until recently! Stephen Fry does a FABULOUS job narrating - I hope you like it.

      Delete
  2. This is one of those books I've been meaning to read for literally decades. After reading your your review, I believe I'll give the audiobook a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the same boat, and a good friend recommended the Stephen Fry narration, which definitely got me into it!

      Delete
  3. I've never read the others in this series but I really want to because this first one is SO GREAT. I love the bit about the dolphins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love that. I can't believe I waited so long to finally get to this one. I've heard the rest of the series is not as good as the first, though I'll still give them a try.

      Delete
  4. My Dad introduced me to this series when I was in high school and I loved it ever since. Adam's sense of humor just clicks with me. I'm so glad you enjoyed it and I hope you like the rest of the series! Also, Fry is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though the beginning is slow, I'm really glad Rowling took her time so I didn't have to freak about all that crap that was happening the very moment Harry turned 11 years and 1 second.

    I was surprised during my re-reading that Hermione wasn't as prominent as I had thought. So glad that they all become friends so they can kick butt together.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!