Harrius Potter, Book 2 Part 1 (I think?)

So apparently I am not so good at readalongs, because last week I plum (plumb?)  forgot to read the end of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and then I also forgot to write about how I forgot to read it and THEN I had a crazy day at work on Friday and went to NYC for the weekend so I never even visited other people's posts. Sorry, guys.

(Also, while I am confessing my Harry Potter sins, I am just going to go ahead and admit that I *always* spell "sorcerer's" wrong the first time and then spellcheck goes all squiggly on me until I fix it.)


But here I am, ready to talk about the first part of Chamber of Secrets (which I spell correctly on the first try)! I've always thought of this one as my least favorite of the series (besides the last one, which we will come to in due course), but I rather like it this time around. Maybe it's because it's my so-called least favorite and therefore also my least re-read (again besides the last one).

Anyway, this is where we first meet Dobby, and I seem to be in the minority of readalongers because I actually like the poor guy! Or if I'm being really honest and admitting that I only like him because of later books, I can at least honestly say that I don't dislike him. I feel bad for the poor guy! Shutting his fingers in the oven and ironing his ears and generally self-mutilating and unable to use his awesome magic for himself?



Besides dear ol' Dobby, other thoughts on these chapters:

Why don't wizards have phones and email like Muggles? I get that they can Apparate, and send mail via owls who somehow seem to know where everyone in the wizarding world is at any given moment, but even with all that fancy magic, sometimes a quick call or email would come in hella handy. Like, you know, when Harry is locked in his room and can't unlock Hedwig to send a letter. Couldn't he just call Hermione who also lives in the muggle world?



I spent a good part of the mandrake-repotting herbology class trying to remember if I should remember Justin Finch-Fletchley's name with no luck. Also, Lockhart is the worst. Colin Creevey isn't so much better, come to think of it. Onwards to petrification!

23 comments

  1. Okay, do you spell Sorcerer with an "or" at the end? Because that's what I do every time until spellcheck alerts me. It just seems better as Sorceror.

    Oh, I loathe Lockhart and I'm definitely in the minority on that one. I actually love Branagh's portrayal of him in the films, but despite that I loathe him in the books and he almost makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

    You know, I hadn't thought about that whole picking up the fellytone (isn't that what Arthur calls it?) for Harry to call Hermione, or vice versa. Good point. I'd guess that the Dursleys monitored the phone isage and wouldn't let Harry make any outgoing calls. I don't know what phone rates were in the UK in the 1990s, but long distance calls in the US weren't cheap then. I mean, they were affordable for most people, but the Dursleys aren't most people 'cause they would begrudge Harry any expenditure. But hermione *totally* should have just called him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I betcha Harry wouldn't have thought to ask for Hermione's number. Because he didn't get her a Christmas present. He's not in the habit of having friends.

      Delete
    2. Does it ever mention Harry getting anyone presents? I don't think he ever does. What a jackass.

      (I mean that with love.)

      And I totally agree that Harry could have just called Hermione. One year at Hogwarts and he's completely forgotten how to be a muggle!

      Delete
    3. I'm desperately trying to remember if it's ever mentioned that Harry gives them gifts. I'm certain it does. Surely?!

      Delete
    4. Yes! I absolutely spell it with an "or" at the end. And I have NO idea why. And good point, all, about the gifts. I don't think he does, although his friends get HIM gifs. I mean gifts. This is something I'm going to have to pay attention to for the rest of the series.

      Delete
    5. Oh God. When I was going to say something about how crazy for Harry not to call Hermione, I read Kayleigh's comment about that Harry isn't accustomed to having friends and didn't ask for Hermione's number, and my whole heart broke in half. Because even if that's not what JK Rowling was thinking of at the time, that seems like totally a thing that would happen. Oh Harry.

      Delete
  2. I'm on the pro-Dobby team, too! SOLIDARITY! But you're so right in that we really just love him so because of the later books. It's been so long, I have no idea how I felt about him when I first read the book. Probably annoyed but pitying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *repeats above message word for word because it's accurate*

      Delete
    2. YESSSS! I am so glad I am not alone! When I was reading through this week's posts and comments I was feeling VERY in the minority. Apparently Dobby is the Jar-Jar of HP, but I don't entirely understand that analogy...

      Delete
  3. No worries - I am equally terrible at readalongs! But it's good to see your blog all the same.
    Like a lot of people, re-reading this book made me realize (again) why this isn't exactly my favorite. But it's seeing those little hints pop up, like mentioned of the vanishing cabinet, that make me appreciate JK all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vanishing cabinet! Yes! I had forgotten that it made an appearance in this book (what with it being my least favorite, I haven't re-read it that much).

      Delete
  4. Hooray for Dobby! He is awesome and cool.

    I think that even if Harry could have called Hermione, he couldn't while he was locked in his room b/c he probably didn't have a phone in there with him. I highly doubt the Dursleys would have allowed that. Seriously though, phones would be so helpful to these wizards! So many times a quick call or text would have like saved lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True true. But he could have snuck a call while the Dursleys were out of the house. Or Hermione could have called him, even if the Dursleys wouldn't let Harry come to the phone, to make sure he was ALIVE.

      Delete
  5. My thought is that the Dursleys totally wouldn't let Harry use the phone. Because that shit costs money! But I see your point. It's always seemed really strange that the wizards are so un-technologically advanced, but I guess it's for the 'atmosphere' or whatever. BUT THE INTERNET IS TOTALLY MAGIC.

    Also, the last book is your least favourite? Oh, we are going to have WORDS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point on the Dursleys being continued jackasses and not sharing the phone with Harry. But also wizards could totally use some handy-dandy muggle technology like laptops (SOOOO much easier than writing essays on scrolls, duh) and text messages for urgent messages when Apparating is not a possibility.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and yeah, the last book and I got in a fight. BUT I have only read it the one time (because of the fight) soooooo I'm willing to go into it with an open mind!

      Delete
  6. About the lack of wizarding phones, RIGHT?? I mean, it seems like a bit of muggle technology they would have either adopted (they have elevators, right?) or else they would have come up with their own wizarding version. And why would Hermione stick with wizarding owl mail while she's home with muggles instead of calling Harry or even sending him a letter via the regular post? I feel like Dobby probably wouldn't have caught that one, given how little the wizarding world seems to understand the postal service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha good point about Dobby not "getting" the regular mail... I mean, I know the wizard world and the muggle world are distinct and all, but the postal service isn't THAT complicated compared to owls who just know where everyone is at all times, right?

      Delete
  7. Lol, I doubt that Harry has a phone in his prison cell, but excellent point. I agree that wizards would greatly benefit from some Muggle technology. Also, I think that us Dobby-lovers really need some way to identify ourselves. I shall work on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should have Pro-Dobby buttons or some such.

      Delete
  8. I had some stuff to say but that last gif....................what? Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it totally doesn't belong there, but mostly I saw it and couldn't resist sharing it because it is just so damn weird. And also, British telephone boxes make me happy, even if wizards do not use them.

      Delete
  9. Bahaha, wizards should definitely have phones.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!