Readathon: The End

I made it! I finished my first Dewey Readathon with just under 1,000 pages read (plus an hour of audiobook). I didn't keep exact track of time spent reading vs. poking around other posts vs. eating/napping/running/walking the dog/etc, but I'd say I probably got a good 12 hours of reading in. 

I'm donating $0.05 per page read/minute of audiobook listened to, which brings me up to a $52.45 donation to the Anne Arundel Literacy Council.

1) Which hour was most daunting for you? 
Probably hour 18 or 19 -- I went to bed sometime in there and managed  mere 17 pages of Tiny Beautiful Things before I gave in to sleep.

2) Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
I really enjoyed Gulp by Mary Roach as a bit of humor and education in the middle of day, but my re-read of the sixth Harry Potter book is really what kept me going until the wee hours of the morning.

3) Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? 
No, it was great!

4) What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
Loved the cheerleaders and constant mini-challenges -- enough to take breaks now and then but not enough to distract completely from the reading in front of me.

5) How many books did you read?
In total - 1
Finished books I'd already begun earlier in the week - 2
Read a bit and then put it down - 2

6) What were the names of the books you read?
War and Peace
Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince
How to Change the World
Gulp
Tiny Beautiful Things

7)Which book did you enjoy most? 
Hard to say, but probably Harry Potter, Gulp, or the 17 pages of Tiny Beautiful Things.

8) Which did you enjoy least?
War and Peace, but not because I actually didn't like it, just because it wasn't the greatest choice for readathon material. Too brainy, if you will.

9) If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
N/A

10) How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
If scheduling permits, I'll definitely do it again!

5 comments

  1. Congrats on raising money for charity - it always enhances my readathon experience when I do that. War and Peace would have to be the first book I attempted during the Readathon day - I would never make it through in the wee hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME JOB, and it's SO COOL that you raised money for charity!!!

    Gulp sounds really, really interesting. I'm going to have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on completing the Readathon, and doing it for charity is really cool. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you got to join us and that you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!