Reading Recap: June Highlights

This was a not-so-great month for reading for me, guys. I'm in the process of moving (the next time I decide it's a good idea to move in the middle of summer, someone kick me in the shins. Hard.), and with everything I own (including most of my brain cells) temporarily misplaced, I haven't been able to get through much. There were two highlights this month, though, and as different as they may be, they are both awesome:

 

The Blue Blazes, by Chuck Wendig: The story of Mookie Pearl, a big bruiser of a man with lots of muscle, some heart, and less grace, Blue Blazes is full of bad guys from start to finish, a touch of gangster mythology (which is a thing I potentially just made up), and lots of drugs and violence. Oh, and ghosts and demons and a portal to the Underworld. While this could *technically* be classified as urban fantasy, I suppose, trying to label it feels like cheating--no one label or descriptor could possibly do it justice. If you're looking for a fast-paced read with lots of smarts, this is it.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette, by Maria Semple: Technically, I finished this one at the end of May, but it took me some time to just mull it over and consider and reconsider and consider again how much I loved it. Whip-smart, funny, emotional, poignant--Semple is all of these things and more. The perfect balance of light read + thoughtfulness for my moving-addled brain.

14 comments

  1. How did I miss The Blue Blazes? It sounds like exactly what I need to get out of a bit of a slump I've been in. Thank you, thank you for bringing it to my attention!

    I just finished (and loved) Bernadette this month, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue Blazes was a really fun read - and relatively quick, which I always find is good for a slump.

      Delete
  2. Yay. I loved Where'd You Go Bernadette too. The satire's really clever and it's also touching and lovely. It's on sale for Nook this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! A perfect combination of really witty writing and enough substance to carry through to the end. I loved it.

      Delete
  3. Sorry that you've had a lackluster reading month. Boo :( I hope Bernadette made up for it somewhat. I loved that book. So smart, so funny. It made me laugh like an idiot ;)

    Good luck moving. It's not the most fun activity but it's an adventure. And it's so fun setting up a new home! Here's to July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernadette definitely made up for it a bit. I'm just used to reading so much more than I have been in recent weeks. But I got a bit of my groove back on vacation last week!

      Delete
  4. Bernadette is on sale at B&N right now, and I'm considering it even though I've been resisting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm SO going to read The Blue Blazes!! I mean, a tough guy called Mookie, come on. That's too great to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Wendig's full of quirky witty bits like that. It's a really great read.

      Delete
  6. Two more I need to read. Because my TBR list isn't long enough

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope July is a better month for you!

    I've never read Chuck Wendig, but Blue Blazes sounds like a great read! And I loved Bernadette :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first Wendig read, but I'll definitely be going back for more.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!