Man Booker Prize Longlist

This year's Man Booker Prize longlist has been announced, and -- surprise! -- Hilary Mantel did not write a single contender. Not that I've been particularly good about reading books from lists of prize contenders, but I still find them incredibly interesting, so here's this year's list (links go to the book's profile on the Man Booker site):


A Tale for the Time Being, by Ruth Ozeki
Five Star Billionaireby Tash Aw
Almost English, by Charlotte Mendelson


The Kills, by Richard House
The Lowlandby Jhumpa Lahiri


The Luminariesby Eleanor Catton
Harvest, by Jim Crace


The Spinning Heart, by Donal Ryan
The Testament of Mary, by Colm Tóibín


We Need New Names, by NoViolet Bulawayo
Unexploded, by Alison MacLeod
TransAtlantic, by Colum McCann

Of these, I've read exactly 0, though I do currently have A Tale for the Time Being checked out from the library per Nathan Dunbar's recommendation. As admitted above, I don't generally get around to reading as many award contenders as I'd like, though the longlists do open my eyes to books I'd otherwise not have known; The Harvest, above, looks particularly interesting and is one I'd never seen before, and Almost English is on my ever-growing to-read list as well.

Does anyone try to read award contenders? Any particular award you'll read the whole longlist for? I find this endlessly fascinating, so please share!

10 comments

  1. Cool! I'm looking forward to reading Lahiri's new book, and I'm rooting for A Tale for the Time Being because one of my fave illustrators (Jim Tierney) designed the cover. Shallow is me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually never read any Lahiri, so I'm wondering if this is a good place to start or if I should go back and start with an earlier work. And no shame or shallowness in rooting for a book with amazing cover design... I agree, that cover is stunning!

      Delete
  2. I've only read two of the books from the long list. A Tale for the Time Being was wonderful. But We Need New Names?? Ohhh my gosh, that book! Stupendous. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about A Tale for the Time Being and am excited to start it. I actually had never heard of We Need New Names before this list came out, though, so I was excited to add a new one to my list. Because I needed more to read.

      Delete
  3. I've read three of those, and they were all good, but in preference I'd put Tale for the Time Being first, The Lowland second, and We Need New Names third.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 out of 13 ain't too shabby! Interesting that those three tend to be the most talked about (at least in my circles, as of today... so not a statistically relevant sample in any sense!).

      Delete
  4. I haven't read any either! I have been lusting over The Luminaries for a while now, but it's not out for a few more months here. I guess I have a few more to add to that massive TBR pile, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never even heard of the Luminaries until this list was announced, but it sounds wonderful.

      Delete
  5. I have the worst luck with award list books. That said, seeing Lahiri's new book here - that's the one I"ll read. Love her books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read none of these, though I did read an excerpt of Transatlantic in Tin House, which was really good. Besides that, I'd really like to get my hands on the Ozeki, House, Catton, and Aw books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!