Looking Ahead: December Books

December is a notoriously slow month for book publishing, but that doesn't mean it's entirely devoid of books worth reading. A few on my list:


The Geek's Guide to Dating, by Eric Smith (Quirk Books, on sale December 3): The title of this book, and the cover of this book, and the content of this book. Just love. Smith has created a dating-guide that is actually interesting enough in its own right that I read it cover-to-cover... and I'm married. The book is full of solid dating advice and peppered with geek culture references ranging from Star Wars to Doctor Who to RPGs to WoW to Battlestar Galactica. Confession: Some of these references went right over my head, and I now feel the need to go up my geek cred so I can continue to hang with my geek-ish husband.

How Should We Live?, by Roman Krznaric (Bluebridge, on sale December 1): I read and enjoyed Krznaric's How to Find Fulfilling Work earlier this year (hellooooo, quarter-life crisis), and am excited to take a look at his newest book, How Should We Live? Here, Krznaric looks back at history to uncover wisdom on how we all should live our day-to-day lives.

Dangerous Women, ed. by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois (Tor, on sale December 3): Twenty-one new and original stories featuring dangerous women ("no hapless victims who stand by wimpering in dread") from some of the best genre authors I know: George R. R. Martin, Diane Gabaldon, Brandon Sanderson, Joe Abercrombie, and Lev Grossman. People, what more could you possibly want?

4 comments

  1. The Geek's Guide to Dating looks really cute! And I'm really excited about that anthology coming out - I've been waiting to read that new Diana Gabaldon short story for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS really cute (and clever, which I always love). And somehow I just heard of the anthology, but now I can't wait to get my hands on it. SO MANY AMAZING AUTHORS.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a good gaggle of books to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially for a NOTORIOUSLY slow publishing month.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!