Tournament of Books Contenders Announced!


The Morning News has announced the list of contenders for the 2014 Tournament of Books (the 10th annual, no less!), affectionately known as "the rooster." The list is, as always, full of books I want to read (though this year I actually have read some already, and own others)

At Night We Walk in Circles by Daniel Alarcón
The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
The Tuner of Silences by Mia Couto
The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert
How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid
The Dinner by Herman Koch
The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri
Long Division by Kiese Laymon
The Good Lord Bird by James McBride
Hill William by Scott McClanahan
The Son by Philipp Meyer
A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara

Pre-tournament play-off round:
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
Woke Up Lonely by Fiona Maazel

I've already read The Goldfinch, Life After Life, and A Tale for the Time Being, so my preference currently stands with those contenders, but it's such a wonderfully interesting, diverse list that I'm sure I'll find other titles to catch my attention as I read through some of these (up first: The Son, The Signature of All Things and The Lowland are all in my possession already).

Which have you read? What are you rooting for?

6 comments

  1. I've only read Eleanor & Park and loved it! I'm currently reading The Lowland; I have The Goldfinch and Life After Life and The Signature of All Things in my possession. I'll be reading The Goldfinch next, because I love Donna Tartt. She can do no wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that yet, though it's on my list. The Goldfinch is EXCELLENT. Big, dense, emotional... everything you want from Tartt. And Life After Life is just brilliant and creative. Loved them both. Not sure how I could ever pick one over the other, as they are so different! But then, that's the joy of ToB, isn't it.

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty pumped about this year's list as well. I've already read five of the books and another 6 were already on my TBR list. I think it is going to be a great year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five already? Not too shabby! I'm hoping to get to at least a few more before judging begins. Let the reading commence!

      Delete
  3. Tra-lala! I was so excited when I saw the post. I've read Life After Life, Eleanor and Park, and I have A Tale for the Time Being Ordered and The Goldfinch sitting on my TBR. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, A Tale for the Time Being is SO SO SO excellent! As is The Goldfinch, though they are COMPLETELY different. I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!