Week in Reading: March 7th

*fingers crossed as I type this* but I think I've finally broken my reading slump. At least a bit.


I powered through all of The First Book of Calamity Leek, a debut novel from Paula Lichtarowicz, this weekend--it's a strange, weird, confusing, wonderful story that somehow manages to combine showtunes, Readers Digest, a Garden, creation myths, "demonmales," and some disturbing ideas of the world into one compelling read. Stay tuned for a full review (but in the meantime, I will say that this was the perfect book to kick off the Weirdathon). I took a week-long break from Alexander Hamilton to devour Valiant Ambition: George Washington, Benedict Arnold, and the Fate of the American Revolution, the forthcoming history book from Nathaniel Philbrick. It's been an excellent exploration of how seemingly trifling events--and/or individual personalities--can shape history.

I'm also really enjoying the last hour or so of Wild, Cheryl Strayed's memoir, on audio.

With those (mostly) behind me, I'm looking forward to picking up This Side of Providence this week (on sale in April) and focusing on some more weird picks for Weirdathon: The Vanishers, perhaps, or The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.

---

What are you reading this week?

No comments

Thanks for stopping by!