Week in Reading: April 4th

Welcome to the first iteration of April's weeks in reading. The next three months for me feature a ton of meetings and lots (and lots and lots) of travel, which means I'll likely be reading a lot, but writing very little. My goal, at a minimum, is to keep up with weekly reading posts so the books I'm reading get a little bit of attention (and, of course, I'll still meet my paid review deadlines). Anything beyond that will be a bonus! Having set expectations accordingly, on to this week's reading stack:



I have the last few hours of Born to Run by Chris Macdougal going on audio, and I'm really enjoying it. Though some of Macdougal's story makes him come off as a clunky American white man stomping around lesser-known, secluded cultures, he acknowledges this fact--which makes it far less annoying than it otherwise might have been. The book is so much more than a book about distance running, which has been an unexpected bonus.

I wrapped up my re-read of American Gods this weekend (I feel like I got so much more out of it on this re-read than I did in my first read), and am moving on to Tenth of December: Stories by George Saunders for the ongoing Mini Long Distance Book Club going with a friend. And speaking of book clubs, I'm just getting into Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption for the first iteration of the (very laid-back) Social Justice Book Club. (It's not too late to join in!)

In prepping for some May releases, I set aside Solemn this weekend after realizing it just wasn't clicking for me--despite some beautiful writing--and am now looking at The Loney, which Stephen King called "an amazing piece of fiction." Here's to hoping it lives up to that promise.

---


What are you reading this week?

No comments

Thanks for stopping by!