Help! Honeymoon Books Recommendations Needed

Ok, book-loving readers. The question of the year is upon me. I leave for my honeymoon on Nov 1. One week in Mexico, two six-hour flights (in first class!), and that means plenty of time for reading.

Keeping in mind that I always overpack (I shudder at the thought of being stranded somewhere without a book - or a bookstore), I've made a long-list of 12 which will probably be culled down to about 3-4 paper books and 1-2 e-books to take along. Here's what I have so far:

The Great House
Our Tragic Universe (halfway through this on my Pocket Reader)
The Elegance of the Hedgehog
Bad Marie
The Historian (which I've started but haven't had time to finish for this month's readalong)
Love in the Time of Cholera (re-read)
Wheel of Time #8 (I'm trying to catch up in my re-read for Vol 13, which comes out while I'm away!)
The History of Love (re-read)
Matterhorn
Packing for Mars
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
The Corrections

Wow, that's incredibly fiction-heavy, and clunker-heavy, so if anyone has any suggestions for rounding out my choices, I'm open to suggestions.

Any thoughts? What would you take on a week-long trip to Mexico? Do you read the same kinds of books on travels as you do at home (I do, but I like my books to be fitting for the trip, so maybe Matterhorn isn't the best match for a honeymoon...)?

8 comments

  1. OH! The Elegance of the Hedgehog is an absolutely must. And there's another book Barbery wrote with a tangent story line called Gourmet Rhapsody that would be a good one as well. I will swear by either of them. Also, the Krauss ones are good choices. I want to hear about The Great House when you get back. And last, I'm aware that this isn't really honeymoon appropriate, but if you haven't read the volumes of Sherlock Holmes stories, they are really fun to read and easy to pick up and put down because each chapter is a different story. I love you. Can't wait to see you next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - you gave it to me! And I haven't had a chance to read it yet! I CANNOT wait to see you. And I will definitely let you know what I think of Great House, when I finally get to it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and we own a two-volume set of Sherlock Holmes, so maybe I'll grab one to take along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Major Pettigrew well enough, and I think it would make a good honeymoon read.

    My travel reading is pretty similar to my home reading. When it comes to flying (which I don't really like) I try to pack something that will hold my attention, is literally lightweight (so no hardbacks), and can be interrupted by flight attendants, turbulence, etc. without causing me to completely forget what's going on. The best plane reads I've had have been Me Talk Pretty One Day and A Girl Named Zippy.

    Good luck choosing books! Always a tough decision :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how exciting! I haven't read any of those books, but I say keep Bad Marie for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote for Major Pettigrew and Hedgehog. You should also bring something to read aloud to each other, a book of short stories, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I probably did too much thinking in India. I blame it on the roads, for they were superb.
    Cheap Flights to Johannesburg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too often travel, instead of broadening the mind, merely lengthens the conversation. Love Sms , Love Text

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!