Thoughts for a New Year

As we turn to a new year, and embark on those impossible I-will-only-eat-healthy-foods resolutions we made in the midst of the glut of the holidays, let us remember what Muriel Barbery first put so simply:

It would all be so much better if we could share our insecurity. If we could all venture inside ourselves and realize that green beans and Vitamin C, no matter how much they may nurture us, cannot save lives nor sustain our souls. (From The Elegance of the Hedgehog, which I absolutely adored.)

There's more to 2012, really, than fruits and vegetables. And those of us who eat fruits and vegetables and chicken year-round find it INCREDIBLY OBNOXIOUS that when we try to grocery shop the first week of January, THERE IS NO PRODUCE LEFT because all the one-timers have bought twenty-seven pounds of bananas that will all go brown before they get eaten anyway and didn't leave any for me. Hmph.

6 comments

  1. LOL, good points. Love the Barbery quote. Really should give the book another go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I was so sad that the store was completely out of lettuce AND green bell peppers yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My neighbor complains about the crowds at the gym this time of year too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah. I couldn't have said it better.

    My sister has a similar complaint about all the one-timers hogging the exercise equipment at the gym. Though they'll be gone before the month is over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL...sounds like I made the right decision to avoid the grocery store altogether this week.

    Of course, now I have no bananas (brown or otherwise) or anything else in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andi - Yes, you should! It's worth it, though it is slow to start. And requires the right mentality/mood.

    Jessica - Mine too! It looked like a war zone in the produce section.

    Kathy & Nari - I'm sure. I don't belong to a gym, but I can only imagine.

    Softdrink - Smart move. I should have stuck with take-out until next week. Instead, I have frozen veggies and that stupid salad mix with herbs in it because it was the only lettuce left in the place.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!