Review: Z: A Novel of Zelda, by Therese Ann Fowler

In sitting down to review this novel, I could give you a summary of Zelda and Scott Fitzgerald's whirlwind romance, from their flirtations in Montgomery to their rapid-fire wedding in New York City following the publication of Scott's first novel, This Side of Paradise. I could tell you about the Fitzgerald's romps through New York and Paris and Italy and Alabama and Hollywood and back again. I could explain to you the cracks and breaks in their marriage, their passion alternating between love and hate on a near-daily basis by the end.

But I'll leave all that alone, because Therese Anne Fowler does it better than I could hope to do. Instead, I will tell you that Fowler's novel Z: A Novel of Zelda is on bookstore shelves this week, and that it is a book meant for the hands of anyone with even a passing interest in the Jazz Age. I will tell you that Fowler has clearly done her research, packing her novelization of Zelda's life with enough detail and historical accuracy that it is easy to forget that we are reading fiction. And I will tell you that Z is my favorite kind of historical novel: one so steeped in truth that it sent me out looking for more to read about Zelda and her famous--and often infamous--husband immediately after turning the last page.

Fowler never claims to know the full truth of Zelda's life, especially given the conflicting nature of many of the records available to us. But with the information available, she has reconstructed a perfectly plausible--and delightfully captivating--account of Zelda Sayre's life as Mrs. Fitzgerald, cataloging the extreme highs and lows that the couple suffered together and alone. Z is sure to be of interest to anyone familiar with Scott Fitzgerald's work--and did you know Zelda herself was a writer?--to those with an interest in the Jazz Age, and to any readers who enjoy imagining the histories of their favorite writers.

---

I received a copy of this title for review from the publisher via NetGalley.

Z: A Novel of Zelda | Therese Anne Fowler | St. Martin's Press | March 2013 | Hardcover | 384 pages | Buy from an independent near you

8 comments

  1. Is it wrong to say that the reason this grabs my attention the most is that the title is Z and few book titles start with Z? It sounds like a fascinating story too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all! Any reason is a good reason in my mind. We all pick up books for our own odd and often illogical-to-others reasons, after all.

      Delete
  2. This sounds really fascinating! I plan on reading a Zelda Fitzgerald biography later this year, and this would be a fabulous follow-up read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! There's another Zelda novel, Call Me Zelda, coming out in May that I just finished as well - the two are very different but definitely bound to be interesting to anyone with even a passing interest in the Fitzgeralds.

      Delete
  3. The third review I've read this morning on this book! sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you love when book reviews line up like that? It's like it's meant to be!

      Delete
  4. ::trots off to request a review copy from netgalley::

    I've decided that I pretty much seem to like everything that you've liked on goodreads...so I'm just going to, um, stalk you a litte bit. At least your reading.

    wow, that was creepier than I meant it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! And it's not creepy at all. I just popped over to your blog and you're right, it does look like we have VERY similar tastes in reading... so consider the stalking returned!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!