Harry Potter, Book 4: Triwizarding, Awkward Teenage Arguments, and SPEW

Note #1: I really should start taking notes while reading, because I always have all the thoughts and then it comes time to sit down and write my weekly post and *poof!* Thoughts be gone. (Maybe this is the result of too many Memory Charms!?)

Note #2: I'd really, truly forgotten how much I like this book.

When we last left off, Hogwarts had just announced the Triwizard Tournament and everyone was plotting how to get around Dumbledore's Age Line to put their name in the Goblet of Fire. Now, the other competing schools have arrived and SURPRISE! Harry Potter's name has come out of the Goblet of Fire.


I mean, obviously we knew this was coming (even those of us who hadn't read the book, right?), because how could there be anything amazing happening at Hogwarts without Harry being a part of it? (JK also gave it away a little bit by calling the book "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," if you ask me.)

Which, of course, is pretty much Ron's take on things, because he immediately starts snubbing Harry and acting totally immature and jealous, even though I really do feel bad for him because once, just once, he just wants something amazing to happen to him. Hermione sums it up when she says he just feels overshadowed. Again.

And, once again, Hermione proves herself the most intelligent witch/wizard around--this time, including the professors--because obviously Harry could not have hoodwinked the Goblet of Fire into thinking there should be four competitors on his own, and even more obviously, he could not have tricked Dumbledore's Age Line without Dumbledore's knowing it. Why is it that only Hermione (well, and Harry) seems to be able to see this? 


There is Moody, of course, who also sees this is highly suspicious, but he sees everything as highly suspicious and is immediately dismissed as a paranoid whack-o. Oh, actually, maybe that's why everyone else dismisses any possible foul-play or danger-intending when Harry's name comes up.

Of course, Harry battles a dragon and pretty much plays Quidditch with it, Golden-Egg-Snitch and all, which is amazing, and Ron forgives him and everything is right as rain again (except for that whole someone-trying-to-do-Harry-in-bit). Which I'm grateful for, because pretty much every scene in the entire series in which HRH aren't speaking is my least favorite scene of them all.

NOW... Golden Eggs! Sirius returns! House elf liberation! Awkward romances!

11 comments

  1. Dumbles also seems to believe Harry that he didn't put his own name in the Goblet. So it's 1 student and 1 teacher and no one else. Poor Harry.

    I do think Ron is being stupid with his snubbing and all but I GET why he's being like that. And I don't think he's any dumber than any other 14 year old who's had his feelings hurt. Plus I always thought, during the scene where Ron walks in on Harry talking to Sirius that Ron was going to apologize or at least take steps towards not fighting and then Harry acts like a doucheface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, poor Ron! I do feel bad for him even when he is being immature (he is only 14, as you pointed out). And Harry is totally terrible about Ron's attempts to apologize, so there's that.

      Sometimes I really do forget how young they all are. Maybe that's why some of these immature things didn't bother me when I first read the books - because I was the same age as the characters, for the most part.

      Delete
    2. I got the feeling that Harry realized he was being a doucheface, and was like "I know I shouldn't be acting like this but whatEVER because he was mean to me first." Oh, boys. They just needed to talk it out.

      Delete
  2. "pretty much every scene in the entire series in which HRH aren't speaking is my least favorite scene of them all."

    OMG so true. I just can't deal with it! Ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It breaks my heart when they fight. Especially when either of them makes Hermione cry, because she is the shiz and deserves so much more appreciation than she gets. Even in this book when Harry is all, "Yeah, Hermione's all right... but she's not as good as Ron." SHE IS STICKING UP FOR YOU, jerk.

      But then, they are 14. Must remember.

      Delete
    2. Ugh, there is the Yule Ball scene coming up and it makes me SO sad. Come on kids, fight through your petty emotions and just be friends again!

      Delete
  3. I did take notes while reading during this book, and then I would get done with one section and be all, "Awright, going back to look at my notes, I'mma write the best post in all the land!", and then my notes are like, these extended capslocky screeds about how bad Snape is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! That is totally what my notes would (will?) look like. That and little I Heart Diggory doodles.

      Delete
  4. McGonogall believes Harry, right? Her and Moody and...that's it for smart teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were talking in someone else's comments about how great it would have been if the entire book was just Harry cheering Cedric on in the Tournament and then drinking butterbeers at Hogsmeade. Harry Potter and the Very Enthusiastic Spectation!

    Also, that Community gif! Troy Barnes, I will be your Abed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, if I was Harry I definitely would've snapped and yelled at everybody "Does no one realize how often someone tries to kill me around here? I obviously didn't sign up for this super dangerous tournament, nor am I smart enough to figure out how to fool the ancient Goblet of Fire!!" And just maayyybbeee he would have had a few more people believin him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!