How Sherlock Changed the World

PBS, you are the shiz. Between imported BBC shows (Downton, what what!) and original content, I think I could survive without any other stations (assuming, of course, I could still get Netflix for more OITNB).

This fall, I'm looking forward to How Sherlock Changed the World, a new documentary examining how the (presumably) fictional Holmes influenced the very real world of forensic science today.

From the PBS press release:
How Sherlock Changed the World will show that Conan Doyle’s hero not only revolutionized the world of fiction, but also changed the real world in more ways than many realize. Holmes was a scientist who used chemistry, fingerprints and bloodstains to catch an offender in an era when eyewitness reports and “smoking gun” evidence were needed to convict criminals, and police incompetence meant that Jack the Ripper stalked the streets freely.
Side note: For an interesting, fictionalized account of how Sherlock may have investigated the Ripper murders, check out Lyndsay Faye's novel, Dust and Shadow

So, a two-hour special essentially detailing how fiction has changed modern science and criminology. How an imagined character has influenced the rational, logical process used to solve modern crimes. How a 130-year-old collection of stories has continued to impact our day-to-day lives.

That's going to scratch so many of my literary itches, I can't even handle the wait. I believe the special is going to be aired over two episodes in November, but I haven't yet found specifics--if anyone knows, please, please share!

6 comments

  1. Replies
    1. "The shiz" is pretty much the most accurate description I can come up with. If only I could get the PBS website to actually tell me when it is airing...

      Delete
  2. I havent heard about this, but this makes me so happy. Sherlock Holmes was one of my first literary loves, and watching Benedict Cumberbatch in Sherlock now is one of my greatest joys. This should prove to be quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm *slowly* making my way through the BBC Sherlock episodes, and pausing every time I come up to an episode based on a story I haven't read yet.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree. I LOVE PBS! I actually don't have a television, by choice, but get my viewing fix with the online content. I'll admit I also have netflix so I really should just cave in and buy one.

    I'll keep this one on my radar! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will air December 17th at 9pm on most PBS stations. I hope you enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!