Looking Ahead: July Books

July is upon us (and then some), with fireworks come and gone, Arthur come and gone, and the first week of July pretty much come and gone. I'm a bit late getting this post up (like last month... the 1st of the month just keeps sneaking past me), but July promises some really great summer reads nonetheless:


California, by Edan Lepucki (Little, Brown, July 8): This book got the coveted Colbert bump when the talk show host encouraged readers to pre-order the book from anywhere but Amazon, adding on to the ongoing drama of the Hachette-Amazon battle. And it promises a hauntingly-dystopian near future, which is right up my alley.

How to Tell Toledo from the Night Sky, by Lydia Netzer (St. Martin's, July 1): I loved Netzer's debut novel, Shine Shine Shine, so while I haven't a clue what her new book is about, I know I'll be reading it. (Ok, I read the publisher description: it's the tale of two astronomers who meet and fall in love and then find out they were engineered to be each other's perfect match).

Land of Love and Drowning, by Tiphanie Yanique (Riverhead, July 10): The publisher promises echoes of Toni Morrison and Gabriel Garcia Marquez in this multi-generational story set in the Caribbean in the first half of the 20th century. I can't wait to read this on the beach... in the Caribbean.

Season to Taste, by Natalie Young (Little, Brown, July 15): An "unexpectedly" funny novel about a woman who accidentally kills her (not very likeable) husband... and decides to dispose of his body in the only way she knows how: by cooking and eating him.

Crossword Century, by Alan Connor (Gotham, July 10): A history of crosswords from their New York Times debut in 1913 through to today? Ok, yes please.

The Visitors, by Sally Beauman (Harper, July 8): Based on historical fact with fictional characters woven in, Beauman's novel transports readers back to Egypt in the early 20th century--as archaeologists searched for the as-yet undiscovered tomb of King Tut.

Tigerman, by Nick Harkaway (Knopf, July 29): Nick Harkaway's Angelmaker blew my mind a little bit (ok, more than a little bit). Tigerman is strikingly different from Angelmaker... but also blew my mind.

Unruly Places, by Alastair Bonnett (HMH, July 8): A tour of the world's mysterious and unknown places--from lost cities to no-man's land to uninhabited islands.

What's on your radar for July?



12 comments

  1. Just added How to Tell Toledo from the Night Sky & Season to Taste to my wishlist. They sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really, really excellent--surprisingly so (and I went into it expecting good things). I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DO IT. This was my first of hers, but I have The Fever and another one whose title is currently escaping me in my stack. This was pretty good on audio if you're a book listener.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the first one best, but the whole series is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurray! I'm lucky that my library has been stocking the Saga books so I've been getting them that way as they come out. But it means waiting for new volumes, not individual issues, and I'm not very patient.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crossword Century? Hello! I didn't know about this one, but now I'm definitely going to have to search it out. Love me some crosswords.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know! I found it completely by accident when browsing through Edelweiss and I'm so excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know! Lots of quirky books coming out this month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was pretty disappointed by The Visitors, but I'm really looking forward to Toledo and Land of Love and Drowning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tigerman for me too, definitely! Nick Harkaway seems delightfully batty, and none of his books is ever like any other book I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Delightfully batty" is an EXCELLENT description of Harkaway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh really? I really enjoyed it--but I also went into it with no expectations. I could have done without the family/stepmother storyline, but I really enjoyed the Egyptian portions.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!