This Week in Reading: February 9

I feel like I'm drowning in February review copies over here. Anyone else? Just me? What's with the shortest month of the year having so many amazing releases? I suppose it's a good problem to have, though it's making my brain a little spinny. On my stack this week:


I finished Our Kids (Simon & Schuster, March 10th) this weekend, a fascinating if not exactly uplifting book on class mobility--and immobility--in the United States today. It wasn't without its issues, but it was definitely an interesting read nonetheless. Full review to come in March. Continuing the non-fiction kick, I started and then set aside Galileo's Middle Finger (Penguin Press, March 10th) this weekend--it just wasn't giving me the stories of the intersection of science and social justice I'd expected from it--and turned to Terms of Service (HarperCollins, March 17th) instead.

Fiction-wise, I'm just getting into Geek Love on audio for the February readalong over at Estella Society; join us! I'm also eying The African Equation (Gallic, March 17th) and planning to start in on Frog Music for my book club's February discussion. Miraculously, this will be my first time reading Emma Donoghue. I'm also just wrapping up My Sunshine Away, which comes out from Putnam tomorrow. I'm torn between racing through to the end and trying to savor Walsh's story and language; stay tuned for more thoughts on this one later this week.

What's on your stack this week?


It's Monday! What are you reading? hosted by Book Journey

15 comments

  1. February review copies are killing me, too. All of my Feb. books come out either the 3rd or the 10th, and it's causing me so much stress! March also has a ton of exciting books, but at least they're spread out a bit more.


    Yay, Frog Music! Emma Donoghue is so good. I'm going to be starting My Sunshine Away later this week, and I can't wait! I've been hearing such great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I missed so many Feb releases I'd hoped to read (moving in Jan really ate up more of my time than I'd planned on...), and I'm already looking at my March stack with googly eyes, wondering where all these books came from. I'm so excited to start Frog Music, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started reading The Likeness by Tana French. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved My Sunshine Away and savoring the language just about captures that read for me! It's my favorite book of the year so far - I'm posting my review on Weds. And - I agree that Feb is a packed month! A bunch of mine come out the 17th and I'm doing ok so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I desperately want to know how it ends, but I'm trying to force myself to slow down to appreciate Walsh's writing style (which is lovely). Looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you love Geek Love! I'm about 60 pages in, and it's fairly enthralling! I also hope you like Frog Music. I love Donoghue, but I haven't read this one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it so far--it's super weird and strange, which is not a bad thing in my book. I can't believe I've never read Donoghue (especially since I own several of her books...), but I'm excited for Frog Music. This is why book clubs are great, right? They push us to read all those meant-to-reads (or never-would-have-reads, in some cases).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bride of the Book GodFebruary 9, 2015 at 3:23 PM

    I hope you enjoy Geek Love, I read it years ago and thought it was fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's very strange so far, but I'm liking that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo, bummer on Galileo's Middle Finger...I have that one and was really excited for it. But I'm glad to hear you're liking My Sunshine Away - I think that's my next read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Galileo's Middle Finger is still worth a try--it wasn't bad, just wasn't wasn't clicking for me. It's certainly well-written and well-researched.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep meaning to read Geek Love but keep putting it off. Is the audio version good? might be a good way to finally get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm liking it so far. The narrator is slightly subdued, but that seems to be in line with the character (it's written in first-person), so it works.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a good sign when you cannot decide which book in a series you like the most!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!