Week in Reading: March 16th

I should just re-name this blog the "week in reading" blog and be done with it, eh? Sadly, the reading situation is no better this week than the blogging situation, though I did finish Kevin Kruse's One Nation Under God: How Corporate America Invented Christian America. The book is an exploration of how America (and Americans) came to identify as a Christian nation, with specific attention on the spat of action in the world of public religious traditions seen in the 1950s. It's interesting and unexpected, and I had the chance to interview Kruse this morning about the work, which made it all the more fun. Stay tuned for review and interview in Shelf Awareness.




Other than that, I'm still slowly working my way through The Fishermen (out in April) and Song Yet Sung (on audio). I finally (finally!) finished Geek Love on my recent drive from CT-->MD, and though I didn't love it as much as some people seem to, it was definitely... interesting. Thoughts to come on that one. I'm also diving into the next book club pick for Curious Iguana's World Authors book club: Half a Yellow Sun, by Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie.

In not-what-I'm-reading news, I had one of those fun bookstore moments last week at Astoria Books with my sister, in which I opened the paperback copy of Gun Dealer's Daughter to see my name attached to one of the reviews there. So, that was fun.



Other than that, this week I'm writing about what I do for my day job over at the Exponent Philanthropy blog, and I'm listening to a playlist of songs from The Blacklist that I made. Because I love that show, and the music in it.

What are you reading this week? Listening to? Writing about?


6 comments

  1. How fun to see your review in a book! I'm totally looking forward to reading The Fishermen, so I'm glad to see you've already picked it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on seeing your review in a paperback! That's pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! It was pretty fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm liking it so far, but it's not what I'm in the mood for so it's going kind of slowly. Then again, I'm not sure what I *am* in the mood for, which is proving annoying. Something will click eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to your review and interview of One Nation Under Gods! It sounds so fascinating.


    And how cool to stumble upon your own blurb in a book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, congrats on seeing your review in the book! That's awesome.


    Also, week in reading blog would still be better than nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!