Week in Reading: March 28th

March is currently not cooperating with the "out like a lamb" portion of the old adage, so most of my weekend was spent curled up inside in front of the fireplace (again) with a book (or four).

week in reading march 29th: book covers for under the bus by caroline frederickson; just like us by helen thorpe; that's not english by erin moore; re jane by patricia park; the summer prince by alaya dawn johnson; cloud atlas by david mitchell


This weekend, I finished Under the Bus, an interesting complement to Lean In that tackles the many, many working women (and women staying at home) who do so not because of some choice to lean in or opt out, but because of financial necessity. It's an important part of the conversation about feminism, equality, and working women. Also on the non-fiction front, I wrapped up Just Like Us: The True Story of Four Mexican Girls Coming of Age in America, which is just as interesting and important as it sounds. Though it weighs in at 400 pages, I've found Thorpe's writing style easy to read and I'm speeding through it. Good thing, too, as the Curious Iguana book club discussion of it is on Tuesday. Up next is That's Not English, which is already getting some great buzz.

Needing a dose of fiction to break up a string of (very good) nonfiction, I picked up The Summer Prince, by Alaya Dawn Johnson, which was the first book I received from the Paperback to the Future subscription my husband gave me for Christmas. I don't usually read YA, and had never heard of this, so I'm excited to be branching out. I'm also diving into Cloud Atlas for the #CloudAtlasAlong (my first Mitchell book!), and looking at Re Jane on the stack of May galleys.

What's everyone else reading this week?


No comments

Thanks for stopping by!