Book to Movie: One Day Adaptation Slated for July 8th Release

Fans of David Nicholl's One Day, rejoice! The film adaptation of the novel, starring Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess, is slated for a July 8th release date. Yes, of this year. IndieWire calls it a "highly anticipated" follow-up on Lone Scherfig's successful release of An Education, starring Carey Mulligan.

Based on images from both movies, the director seems to have a thing for actresses with short hair. Both Carey Mulligan and Anne Hathaway are sporting new, short hairstyles. As is yours truly. I chopped off all of my locks post-wedding into a 'do that closely mimics Carey Mulligan's short style.

But I digress. Why am I talking about hairstyles when I could be rambling about how much I loved David Nicholls' book, and how I can't wait to see the movie? This from the girl who doesn't watch a lot of movies. As with any book-to-film adaptation, I'm worried that the movie won't do the novel justice, but on this one, the casting and direction look sound enough that it seems worth the chance.

If you haven't already been persuaded to read the book, go back and take a peek at my review of One Day. And I'm not alone in my gushing:
Have you read the book? If you answered no, stop reading immediately and go do so. Any thoughts on the casting? Will you see the movie?

9 comments

  1. I loved this book and am looking forward to the movie. I thought "An Education" was beautifully done and I'm a big Anne Hathaway fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book is a must read for me. Movie I dont know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! This is awesome! I had no clue there was a movie in the works. I loved loved loved this book. And An Education is my favorite film ever. OMG I am so excited. One qualm - I'm not sold on Anne Hathaway as Emma. Not sold at all. Jim Sturgess however is spot to play Dexter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goody. I haven't read the book yet but now I've got a deadline to have read it by. :p I'm fond of Anne Hathaway and I thought An Education was marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura - Glad to know I'm not the only one excited about it!

    Mystica - I can't agree more... you must read it!

    Brenna - Yes! Now you know about the movie. I'm not sure about Anne Hathaway, either, but I'm willing to give her a shot. I'd actually never heard of Jim Sturgess before, so this will be the first role I see him play.

    Jenny - It's wonderful! Hope you enjoy the book, too. I always aim to read the book before the movie, so I know what you mean about the deadline. That's the only reason I haven't seen True Grit yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerry, Jim Sturgess was the lead in my very favorite musical, Across the Universe. He's English and plays the "bad boy with a good heart,", which is why I think his face is perfect for Dexter - handsome with the smirk of as asshole (pardon my french).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the shout-out! I did adore this book, and I can't wait for the movie. Squee!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of it before but you have me convinced!! Though, I might be bold and watch the movie first and read the book after. I have such a stack of reading to get through at the moment I fear I won't get through it until 2020 at the rate I'm going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brenna - (hangs head in shame) I haven't actually seen Across the Universe. Yet. But handsome with a smirk of asshole seems perfect for Dexter, you're right about that.

    Rachel - No problem! I can't wait either, and I rarely get excited about movie releases. I'm perfectly content to wait until Netflix has them, usually.

    Jan - It's well worth the read! It's a pretty long novel, but it reads easily and quickly. I'm excited to see what they do with the movie. Hoping it lives up to my unreasonably high expectations.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!