So It's Not Like Riding a Bicycle, After All

There are some things that are just like riding a bicycle - easy to pick back up after a long break. It turns out blogging is not like that. I've been staring at a blank screen (in the new Blogger template, WHOA WHAT IS UP) for two days, trying to decide where to start. The list of books I've read and haven't written about is long, and some of the books I read as long ago as February. But I will persevere...
expect a boatload of reviews and a return to semi-regular posting this week! Just in time for Banned Books Week.

In the meantime, I leave you with this excellent thought, originally shared by Out of Print (follow them on Facebook).

“Read, read, read. Read everything -- trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You'll absorb it. Then write. If it's good, you'll find out. If it's not, throw it out of the window.” -William Faulkner (and it's his birthday, no less)

3 comments

  1. Sounds like your blog might be suffering from a flat tire. (Not an insult...just going with the bicycle analogy.) Like when you haven't ridden for months and you're all excited, only to go out to the garage to discover the bike has a flat tire. So then you have to change the flat, and then you're not quite as excited anymore, because all the technical stuff ruins the spontaneity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aah, I know what you mean! Occasionally I take a break and then I'm like - why can't I even write something. Take your own time. Usually I just let my writing juices get to a good level. Out of the blue, some day, I'll feel like writing something and then I just let it take me where I want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean! I had great, legitimate reasons for going MIA for a while there, but the truth of the matter is I could have come back to blogging long before I did. I just kept putting it off because I just didn't know how to jump back in.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!