Why Do We Have to Read Poetry?

"Why do we have to read poetry? ... Read it and you'll know why. And if you still don't know, read it again. And again. Some of them took the things she said to heart, as she had done once when they were said to her. She was helping them assume their humanity. People have always made poetry, she told them. Trust that it will matter to you." (from Marilynne Robinson's Home)
I started out my year with an intention to read a poem a day. I haven't succeeded in reading quite that many, but I have read more poetry this year than any other, and I'm rather enjoying it. Any recommendations for poems/poetry collections I should be sure not to miss?

1 comment

  1. What kind of poetry do you like? My favourite poet is Al Purdy, a Canadian from very close to where I live. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!