Reading Recap: August Highlights

Daaaaaaayyyumm, kids. August was a fine month for reading (a weekend of #24in48 and a solid week at the beach didn't hurt, of course). Here's just a few of the best books I read this month:

      

The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt: It's probably not fair to include this here because it's not out until October, but I took it with me on vacation and devoured all 770 pages in three days. It is that good. Fans of The Secret History will, I'm sure, already have this one on their radar, but anyone who loves big, hefty novels (both in page count and in subject matter) about family, relationships, growing up, art, curation, preservation, history, and a million other things will want to read this too.

Night Film, by Marisha Pessl: I've already reviewed this title in detail, but I won't miss an opportunity to reiterate what a fabulously creepy book this is. Read it. Really.

The Bone Season, by Samantha Shannon: I'm actually only halfway through this book, but I'm including it here anyway because it's an August release. First things first: disavow yourself of any notion that this book may be at all similar to Harry Potter. Because it isn't--and it doesn't need to be. Shannon has created a detailed, complex alternate reality that stands quite well on its own, complete with aliens, clairvoyants, British history, abusive governments, and a heroine who won't back down.


Lookaway, Lookaway, by Wilton Barnhardt: A big, ambitious novel of a Southern family steeped in tradition and proper Southern etiquette. Barnhardt has a knack for family drama, humor, and the long-lasting impact of Southern traditions on the United States today, and enough writing chops to blend all three together. My full review ran in Shelf Awareness for Readers this week.

Lexicon, by Max Barry: I'd had my eye on this one for a while and purchased a copy at Politics and Prose while browsing with Rachel from Home Between Pages (note to self: browsing a bookstore with a fellow book blogger is dangerous). I read the whole book in a day, and it's just as smart as I hoped it would be. Part X-Men Academy, part ode to the power of language, part action novel.

The Engagements, by J. Courtney Sullivan: Wowwwweee. I read and enjoyed Sullivan's 2012 blockbuster, Maine, and had been looking forward to The Engagements even before seeing Sullivan speak in DC last month. It's an ambitious novel, relaying the stories of four people and their very personal takes on marriage, and draws on the history of diamond advertising to shed new light on the big shiny ring so many brides wear these days. It's a lot to pack into one novel, but Sullivan pulls it off.



18 comments

  1. OMG, I read the Donna Tartt over about three days, too. Just powered through it and loved it. I read about 5 books in a row in August and it felt great to be out of the slump I had all summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It was a perfect vacation read. I would have been annoyed if I tried to read it when I had to work, because work would have been majorly cramping my reading style.

      Glad you're out of the slump! I had one in June. The worst.

      Delete
  2. You might have had the best reading month ever, haha. So jealous. I want to read all of these books but haven't found my way there yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of open weekends and a week of vacation let me make up for lost summer reading time!

      Delete
  3. All the good-looking books. I'm drooling a little, thankyouverymuch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. August was a good month for reading. And for cover designs, now that I look at them. Yourewelcomeverymuch!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic month! I want to read nearly every single one of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a ton of great releases in August... I just wish I had had time to read more. Classic bookworm problem, I know.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great reading month! Almost all of those books are on my TBR list! I won a copy of The Goldfinch, and I can't wait for it to arrive so I can dig in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohhhhh it is so excellent! I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. September is SO GOOD. I'm totally in love with The Goldfinch right now. So much that my usual two or three book at a time self is reading it slowly and solo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put all other books aside once I was ensconced in Goldfinch. Love love love.

      Delete
  7. I have a lot of those on my list. Lexicon sounds super-awesome... X-Men Academy? YES PLEASE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaaaaaaaaa I am so excited for the Donna Tartt book. I started reading it this week but I'm trying to make it last, since I can't do a proper review of it until October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I entertained thoughts of waiting to read it for about 12 hours before I packed it up and took it on vacation with me, and promptly devoured it before any other books I brought.

      Delete
  9. Alright you got me. The Engagements, I really need to pick this up. And Lexicon, part X-Men academy what? Onto the list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. looking forward to the Goldfinch, won it some time ago, still waiting for it to come.
    here's my wrap-up: http://wordsandpeace.com/2013/09/04/2013-august-wrap-up/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!