A Readathon Wrap-up

Yesterday was the Dewey 24-Hour Readathon, and while it wasn't my best showing in terms of hours or pages read, it was an incredibly fun day. This was my first year cheering, and I had a blast connecting with so many other readers, seeing new-to-me blogs, and getting to know a bit about the rocking #TeamShakespeare.


Which hour was most daunting for you?
Hour 14. I took a 10-hour break for a trip to the Maryland Renaissance Festival (which was a blast), and then a family birthday dinner. I was a mite exhausted after that, despite my hopes that it would be energizing, so it was tough to get back into the books. I did sneak some reading on my phone in during dinner, so rather than going back to my readathon stack when I came back, I decided to continue on with the book I'd been sneak-reading: A Rogue by Any Other Name, by Sarah Maclean. Excellent choice, that. I don't think my brain could have handled a new storyline at that point.

Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
I only read three books yesterday (not completed, but read pages of), so not sure how helpful I'll be on this. I do find that relatively easy-to-read, plot-driven novels and narrative non-fiction keep me hooked for longer periods of time, but that's just personal preference.



Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?

No, honestly, things seemed amazing from my end of things this year! 

What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
Cheerleader energy, reader engagement on Twitter and other social media platforms. Love connecting with other readers on blogs and elsewhere.

How many books did you read?
1 in its entirety, half of another, 30 pages of a third.

What were the names of the books you read?
Horrorstor, by Grady Hendrix
God'll Cut You Down, by John Safran
A Rogue By Any Other Name, by Sarah Maclean

Which book did you enjoy most?
Toss up between Horrorstor and A Rogue. They're so different, it's hard to compare. God'll Cut You Down will be great, I think, I just wasn't in the mood for it yesterday.

Which did you enjoy least?
I don't continue reading books I don't enjoy, with very few exceptions, so no answer!

If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
Start early, and use cheering as a way to break up your reading if you can. It also helps to chat with your team to get a sense of where extra support may be needed--for example, we had one blog on our team whose first-ever post was about the readathon, so she had no existing following, and we made a note to visit her a bit more if time allowed.

How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
Is this a trick question? Because duh.
I loved being a cheerleader and plan to offer to help out more next year, if I can!

---

Pages read: 430
Books read: Horrorstor, by Grady Hendrix; God'll Cut You Down, by John Safran; A Rogue By Any Other Name, by Sarah Maclean
Books completed: 1 (Horrorstor)
Total hours read: 5

10 comments

  1. I love "Is this a trick question?" because I feel the same way every time I go to answer it! I just found out I won a copy of God'll Cut You Down on Goodreads and I'm very excited to read it. Curious what you thought of the Sarah Maclean, since I have a copy of that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that was really giving the new blogger some extra cheer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you like the Sarah Maclean! While it kind of convinced me that romance really isn't my thing, I thought it was a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I'm so glad you had such a good experience cheering. It's one of my fave things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm not sure I'll rush out to read a dozen romance novels now, but it was a really fun read. I'm intrigued by the others in the Rules of Scoundrels series, too, since they seem to jump around to different characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Readathon is one helluva way to dive into book blogging... not a bad one, at that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right? Does anyone ever say no? I'm having a hard time getting into God'll Cut You Down--something about the writing style, I think. But liking it, mostly, so far. A Rogue By Any Other Name was very far outside my normal reading range, but it was really just a fun book. I'm not rushing to read the rest of the series, but they're on my list after the first one, if that makes sense. I like to get out of my comfort zone sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like such fun, thank you for making me aware of it. I'm totally going to shoot for the April one now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! It IS such fun, and glad you'll be joining in the spring!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!