European Adventures: Dublin | Trinity College, National Library and Oscar Wilde's Memorial

These photo posts will go roughly in chronological order over the course of our month in Europe, broken up over multiple posts for load time and file size purposes.

Our first stop in Europe took us to Dublin, for two reasons: first, we've always wanted to go to Ireland (and Dublin particularly) and second, it was the cheapest flight option for our departure.

We stayed in Dublin for a week--which, about two days in, we realized was far too long for a city like Dublin, which is actually fairly small. But we were slightly jetlagged, so let ourselves sleep in when possible to adjust to the time change, and we packed as much as possible into our first few days in Europe.

We took a redeye flight from Philadelphia, so we landed in Dublin early in the morning. Plenty of time to locate our AirBnB apartment, get settled, and head out for a tour of Trinity College:





Not pictured: the smell of old books.
And in case that wasn't enough books in one day, we then ventured over to the National Library. Unfortunately, photography's not allowed inside, but trust me when I say this is one of the prettiest reading rooms I've seen, and the library boasted one of the most impressive free library exhibits I've ever visited, centering on Yeats and the history of Irish poetry. Seriously amazing.



A quick stop at the Oscar Wilde memorial in St. Stephen's Green, dinner in a pub... and early to bed for our poor jetlagged souls.


13 comments

  1. I was planning on doing the whole30 this month. It didn't seem that different from the type of food I already eat because I'm allergic to gluten and legumes. Then I realized that I cannot go a whole month without cheese, so now I'm just trying to get back into the habit of logging my food, planning my meals and eating healthier. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great start to your trip. I cannot wait to see the rest of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allergic to gluten and legumes is half the Whole30 battle! I thought cheese would be the hardest part, but surprisingly it hasn't been so bad (so far). I'm SERIOUSLY craving sugar, though. I don't know if I could say no if someone put a cupcake in front of me right now. Or a bowl of Lucky Charms. And I don't even like Lucky Charms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a good day--we jammed a lot in. More pictures to come... I just have to sort through them all. We took so many!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm seriously addicted to cheese, but maybe I'll give it a try next month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes me forever to go through photos. I still haven't posted the photos from my last trip and I've been back for 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, that library. It looks like what dreams are made of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It happens. It can be so overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you believe I stayed nearly 2 blocks from Trinity and didn't visit!!? Ahhh. This was years ago and I was too caught up with other things to even think about it BUT these pictures are really making me kick myself. LOVE THEM. Especially the books!! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only spent a couple days in Dublin when I was there. We ended up spending most of our time touring the rest of Ireland. Such a gorgeous country!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish we'd done that, actually. Dublin was great but not really a great city for a week-long stay, and I wish we'd had time (and a car) to see more of the country while we were there. Oh well, we'll just have to go back!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!