BEA Bloggers Conference (#BEA2015 Recap, Part 1)

Last week was a whirlwind of bookish delight, which I'll be recapping as best I can over the coming days. Up first:


Wednesday: BEA Bloggers Conference

I haven't been to BEA Bloggers (formerly Blogger Con) since its very first year, and then I attended as publishing staff, not as a blogger (though I was technically blogging at that time). I've heard mixed things about the conference in years past from bloggers I know and trust: Florinda (The 3 R's Blog) had a great recap of the mixed success of the 2012 conference, and Shannon and Leah echoed similar thoughts on the 2014 conference. Still, I know that over the years, the conference organizers have tried to encourage more and more input from actual bloggers on the content and format of the conference, so I went into the day cautiously optimistic.


The keynote panel was a trio of long-time bloggers, though their respective roles have often surpassed that of traditional book blogger into other arenas: Kameron Hurley (fantasy author and blogger), Ron Hogan (founder of Beatrice.com, among many other job titles), and Patty Chang Anker (author and blogger at her own site and on Psychology Today, among other venues). They talked in general about the state of book blogging today and what it might look like in the future, which was interesting--though because all three have roles within the blogging community that, like I said, surpass that of traditional book bloggers, not all of their insights were 100% relevant.

Which sort of set the tone for the day: Lots of information, not all of it relevant. In the morning, I attended the two "201" level panels: Creative Content Opportunities and Tactics to Create Killer Content Fast. The former would have been fascinating if I wanted to start national book groups, a podcast, or a YouTube channel, but as those particular content opportunities weren't really of interest to me, I didn't get a lot out of it. I also got slightly twitchy when sponsorship opportunities were discussed--at length--with no mention of transparency or disclosure of said sponsorships. I typed frantic notes on the latter panel on my phone to share with the Armchair BEA folks, but in short: some great tips buried between some less-than-relevant-for-long-time-bloggers tips ("Have you ever heard of Evernote?") and some things I just patently disagreed with (Instagram looped giveaways feel spammy to me, not like a genuine way to grow followings; and templatized reviews are the most boring thing in the world to read--both those are my personal opinions, and might not apply to everyone).

With a partially successful morning, the blogger crowd was scattered over the cafeteria for lunch. Which struck me as an odd way to encourage the blogger networking and community that bloggers have been clamoring about for years now; though the large conference room was open for bloggers to return to, many (myself included) opted to eat in the food court rather than schlep their lunches back across the vast wasteland that is Javits' basement. (I got to meet and eat with Natalie from Coffee and a Book Chick, which was awesome!).

And then the show floor opened.

Suffice it to say that the afternoon attendance seemed *ahem* slightly lower than the morning attendance, after the strange lunch arrangements and given the competition with the show floor and author signings.

Photo from Amber & Arianna of Shelf Notes,
via the Armchair BEA Live from BEA Bloggers Post.

I still had an absolute blast sitting on a panel for new bloggers on Tips for Engaging Your Readers--and even though I've been at this for 7 years now (gulps), I learned a ton from my fellow panelists: Emily from Books, the Universe, and Everything and Melody from Melody & Words. Our moderator, Amanda Nelson from Book Riot did an awesome job of keeping us on time and on topic, and making sure that info was summarized and interesting questions asked--both by her and the audience. Amber & Arianna from Shelf Notes summarized our panel for Armchair BEA if you're interested in more detail.

After that, I stuck around for another "101" level session: Working with Publishers, Authors and Promotions, which was 50% relevant to my interests (the conversation between Swapna Krishna and Meredith Burks) and 50% not relevant (talk of YouTube and YA promotions and partnerships, just because both areas are outside of my focus).

---

All of this is a very long-winded way of saying that, again, BEA Bloggers felt a bit like it didn't know what it wanted to be. There wasn't much of a presence of the conference on social media (even the @beabloggers handle wasn't tweeting the event), and, though they did an excellent job of making sure that the panels included actual bloggers this year, which is apparently an improvement from past years, and all of the panelists individually had interesting things to say, there was often a disconnect between how a panel was described and the content included in it. Combined with the chaotic lunch arrangements and competition with the show floor in the afternoon, the day overall was a bit lackluster--but I had fun doing a panel, albeit to a half-empty room, and hope that some people took some useful information away from the day.

---

If you were there, what did you think? I couldn't visit all of the panels at once, so would love to hear more about the other panels I didn't make it to. 

---

Next week: Updates from the rest of the week and a collection of the books I'm most excited about from the show.

17 comments

  1. You're 100% on point with your Blogger Con thoughts, I totally agree. I attended the same morning sessions you did, and was underwhelmed. The "Killer Content Fast" was the oddest (agreed about the Evernote comment....really!?) - I don't know what I was expecting, but that wasn't it. I found the Creative Content Opportunities session at least interesting, even though it's not very relevant to me. (The YA Blogger was the most out of left field - how many bloggers out there are in a position to set up nationwide book groups? She's doing something cool, but it's not relevant to average bloggers.) I was most interested in the BookTuber, and it got me ever so slightly interested in trying it out, but I'm still uncertain if that's a place I really want to go. My interest in doing a video post would be mostly to just share quick thoughts on a books I love & convey enthusiasm for in a way that's more personal that just through writing. But the key word there is QUICK, I'm not on board for massive video or podcast editing. Anyway, I'm still pondering it, but not sure or not if it's for me.


    Last but most important: I had so much fun meeting you and participating in a panel with you, Melody & Amanda! I agree - I learned so much from you all and had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep trying to figure out what exactly the problem is, because BEA really does seem to be addressing the major issues, but it still doesn't quite work. While it would be wonderful to get everyone together and have all of the programming magically click, I'm never going to think that sharing my blog posts on Instagram is anything other than spam...I'm sure someone else will think that's a great idea and will want in on it. I think it could just be that there really are book bloggers with different goals and instead of trying to force all of the bloggers into one conference, maybe we need to focus on smaller uncons (yeah, like what we tried to start last year!) with like-minded bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it wasn't just me that was underwhelmed. Though some of the info was interesting, I just didn't get a lot of actionable info out of it. My favorite part was getting to meet you and Melody and Amanda! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it was interesting to see this year because they seemed to address so many of the previous issues (get actual bloggers on panels! break out into 101 and 201 level panels!) but it still didn't really click. I think what I personally want most in a panel (or conference) for bloggers is the chance to engage in conversation, ask questions, and meet other bloggers--so maybe that just means less panels and more facilitated small group discussion. But that seems outside the realm of things the conference planners are equipped to do, which just implies that an uncon is *still* the best option, if we can pull it together. Maybe in Chicago next year??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was there and lot of the information wasn't relevant and over my head.

    I did enjoy the day, though. I love meeting the bloggers I talk to online.

    It was a shame about the afternoon sessions had so few people in them because of the show floor.

    Thanks for a great post and your thoughts.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was there and agree with all your points. I enjoyed the afternoon sessions more than the morning ones. I attended the panel you spoke on, which I enjoyed more than others, and the publishers one - which didn't offer a lot of new information for me. I blog FOR a publisher so I was coming at that from both sides. I went to another BEA panel later on about digital word of mouth that I thought was really interesting from the publishing and blogging side of things. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been really curious how BEA actually pans out so thanks for sharing your experience. It's highly unlikely that I'll ever attend BEA in person so it's a pity that a virtual version of it isn't happening. Perfectly fine. I guess too that bloggers should be more involved in the planning of the sessions, otherwise it's apt to be run with very different goals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this! I think I'll be steering clear of the Blogger Con until I hear more positive things. And I'd still love to just get a bunch of bloggers in a room, talking to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recap. I was really surprised by the lack of tweeting about the event. I think it was more or less two people doing most of the tweeting. It sounded like a lot of the panels were really helpful overall, but I just wish this conference could figure itself out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, meeting bloggers from online is probably my favorite part of all things BEA-related!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wasn't able to make it to the BEA panels later in the week, unfortunately, but there were some that sounded interesting. That digital one was on my radar but scheduling didn't work out. Glad to hear it was interesting, though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's always Armchair BEA, which I know isn't quite the same as attending, but they have such awesome stuff going on each year.


    I think the thing about Blogger Con is that it's not quite sure what its purpose is; is it educational? Networking? Inspiring? And so it falls somewhere in between all of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, it wasn't my best day at the show. BUT I'm glad I went and checked it out for myself. I'm always in for a bunch of bloggers in a room, talking to each other (you know we'd just talk about blogs and books anyway, right?). Maybe in Chicago next year?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! I was surprised that social media was so quiet about it--especially the official show Twitter handle! What gives? I keep having high hopes for the conference (as do others)... it would be SO great if it could work itself out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm horrible at even remembering ABEA. That's a a pity though -- the event itself is extremely popular, and so to maximize its traction only makes sense. I guess next year is yet another chance ... let's see ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like it still has some growing pains, but is getting closer. I think one thing that needs to be acknowledged is that there really are different types of bloggers. We are not a one size fits all kind of thing. But i think it's great that you went and were a panel member. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea, Kerry! As someone on a panel, it was nerve wracking trying to come up with a list of tips that applied to the panel topic, were within the topics I was personally given, and that I thought would not be common knowledge to most bloggers. I would have loved it if instead the panelists were introduced and then the floor was opened up to take questions from the audience (keeping them relevant to the topic of the panel). That way the audience can get the answers they want and there can be more engagement. Maybe one day we'll get that at the blogger con. I really hope so!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!