Looking Ahead: June Books & Paperback Releases

June is the official first month of summer, and I for one am excited to park myself on the back porch and read 'til the sun sets late in the day. Here are a few things out this month that I'm really, really excited about:


The Library at Mount Char, by Scott Hawkins (Crown, June 16): This book is a mindfuck in the best way possible, asking readers to believe in a world within our world in which a group of orphans study the wisdom of the universe and eventually usurp their leader, Father, who holds god-like power over the universe. It's trippy and it's thinky and it's totally strange and please read it so we can discuss. Review to come this month in Shelf Awareness.

The Book of Speculation, by Erika Swyler (St. Martin's, June 23): I've been hearing great things about this already, and you know I can't resist a book about the power of books.

Saint Mazie, by Jami Attenberg (Grand Central, June 2): I still haven't read Attenberg's previous novel, The Middlesteins, but I've heard enough good things about that and this new one that I'm itching to pick this up. I'll be honest: I have no idea what it's about, and I'm planning to leave it that way if I can.

Project Fatherhood: A Story of Courage and Healing in One of America's Toughest Communities, by Jorja Leap (Beacon Press, June 9): An account of former gang members banding together to learn to be fathers to their children and to effect change in their communities.

Something Must Be Done About Prince Edward County: A Family, a Virginia Town, a Civil Rights Battle, by Kristen Green (Harper, June 9): Green's account of her hometown's resistance to the desegregation of schools chronicles an important--if shameful--chapter in the United State's push for racial equality. Full review to come in Shelf Awareness.

How Did I Get Here? Making Peace with the Road Not Taken, by Jesse Browner (HarperWave, June 30): I'm fairly picky when it comes to self-help titles, but this one piqued my interest. I've got a copy waiting for me--stay tuned for thoughts.

The Star Side of Bird Hill, by Naomi Jackson (Penguin Press, June 30): Jackson's debut tells the story of two girls sent from Brooklyn to live with their grandmother in Bird Hill, Barbados. It's ultimately a story that explores the meaning of home, as the two sisters bridge their New York and West Indian identities and struggle to fit within either.

---

And look for these old favorites in paperback this month:



---

What are you looking forward to reading in June?


9 comments

  1. I just downloaded a sample of Saint Mazie - Leah said she really liked it! And - I've had my eye on the Prince Edward County book b/c I grew up kind of close to there, but then I recently saw someone DNF'd it. I'll be interested to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got approved for The Library at Mount Char, so I can't wait to get to it! Sounds like something I'm going to enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say this in my review for the Shelf as well, but it leaned much more heavily towards memoir than I had wanted/expected it to. It's still an interesting book, but the middle did slog a little--I almost set it aside. Glad I kept reading, as the historical bits are worth it, but the memoir portions were slow going for me. But I also am not a big fan of memoir, so that could just be personal preference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. IT IS SO WEIRD. And good. And weird. And also think-y. And did I mention weird? It took some patience for me to get into the story because I couldn't figure out what the hell was happening--still not sure I ever did figure it out--but it was enjoyable once I was hooked. I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma @ Words And PeaceJune 4, 2015 at 12:03 AM

    I plan to read #1. Sadly had to DNF your #2. here is my own list for June: http://wordsandpeace.com/2015/06/03/12-books-to-read-in-june-2015/

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Prince Edward County book always throws me for a loop. The Prince Edward County in Ontario is pretty posh and very beautiful. Full of quaint B&Bs and lakeside cottages. Clearly not the same Prince Edward County.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very excited for you to read Saint Mazie. It's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Need to read this!! Did you hear Obioma interviewed on the Lit Up podcast? He's a pretty interesting guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I NEED Library at Mount Char. It sounds so creepy and weird and there's nothing I like more than that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!