#BlumeALong Linkup: Summer Sisters


I've written and re-written this first paragraph so many times that I've actually lost count at this point. I keep trying to find a way to introduce Summer Sisters in a way that does the book justice, and I keep failing. I want to find a way to express how pleasantly surprised I was to find an adult book that so effortlessly crossed from childhood to adulthood; that so perfectly captured both the innocent curiosity of middle-schoolers and the angsty trials of college and first loves and first heartbreaks; that so wonderfully explored the nuance of childhood friendships as they bend and twist and turn into adult friendships.

I expected to enjoy Summer Sisters more than Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, but I didn't expect the characters and situations of Summer Sisters to resonate with me quite as much as they did. Without ever having had a summer sister of my own, Blume's depiction of a complicated friendship founded on love and respect and competition and possessiveness felt scarily close to a real-life description of my relationship with my one-time best friend. Though I never vacationed on the Vineyard for summers on end, I fully appreciated Blume's representation of that one perfect, important summer in youth that remains crystallized in memories for years and years. Though I am not as young now as some were when they first came to Summer Sisters, I so truly appreciate Blume's frank and candid depictions of sex and sexuality from middle school through adulthood.

My only regret is not having read the damn book sooner--something I hope to correct with more of Blume's works to come. Those who've read her everythings: what should I read next??

---

What did you think? If this was your first time reading Blume, was it a good entry point? If you're revisiting the book, what was it like as a re-read? How is Blume's work in young adult different from her work in adult fiction?

Link up to your post (or, if you've been actively sharing your thoughts on social media, the social media channel of your preference) below. Or feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments section below!



3 comments

  1. Oh boy do I need to re-read this one. Was just commenting on Shaina's post about it - I think I read it in high school, so it's easily been over a decade since I read it, and I have NO memory of it. Just purchased it today - no idea where my old copy is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it! It was a lot better than I had expected (I was a bit worried after Are you There God? It's Me Margaret let me a bit underwhelmed).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally got my #BlumeALong post up! For realz, when are we reading Wifey? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!