The Best of June

June was a good month. Lots of reading, lots of travel (lots of train trips!), lots of sunshine. I wrote about most of my favorite June reads in yesterday's roundup of the best books of the year so far, but let me recap quickly:



The Book of Speculation, by Erika Swyler: Circuses. Tarot cards. Curses. Family secrets. Yes, please.

Saint Mazie, by Jami Attenberg: A novel with a lot of heart about a woman who looks out for the broken men of the Depression on New York City streets. It's about a lot more than that, too.

The Shore, by Sara Taylor: A novel that reads like linked short stories; dark and violent and heartfelt stories of the South and of family heritage.

Something Must Be Done About Prince Edward County, by Kristin Greene: Part memoir, part history of the lengths one county in Virginia went to to avoid desegregating schools. Well-written and eye-opening.

---

Less redundant, here's my favorite stuff on the internet from the past month:

  • Do you already get Brenna's "This Week I Learned" TinyLetter each week? No? Go fix that. From one of my favorites this month: "Let's celebrate being unsettled this week and talk about the things that matter, even when it's scary." Yes, that. All of that.
  • In case anyone needed further proof on why authors responding to negative views is never a good idea, there's this thread on Goodreads. (Also, I deleted my Goodreads account this month.)

  • Oh, and also, there's a trailer for The Martian, and I. Cannot. Wait:


---

What were the best things you read in June?

4 comments

  1. It looks like you read some great books in June!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited about The Martian (but I need to read the book first).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma @ Words And PeaceJuly 2, 2015 at 12:02 AM

    the book is so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh - I need to check out that Lyndsay Faye article! Didn't she write Gods of Gotham? I liked that one..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!