Looking Ahead: May Books

It's May! It's May! The lovely month of May! (Even though it is 50 degrees out and raining as I type this, and feels more like March than May...)


May brings Book Expo American (BEA) and the true start of the summer publishing season, which means there's no shortage of awesome books coming our way. Here are some on my radar:


The View from the Cheap Seats: Selected Non-fictions, by Neil Gaiman (William Morrow, May 31): I'd be hard-pressed to imagine a book that Neil Gaiman could write that I wouldn't be interested in reading, and The View from the Cheap Seats is no exception. The collection pulls together Gaiman's existing works of fiction across various formats--introductions to other books, speeches, essays, articles, etc.--and is a delightful detour in Gaiman's imagination and love of literature.

Eleven Hours, Pamela Erens (Tin House Books, May 3): I love the varied and diverse list that Tin House puts out each year, and the newest Erens specifically caught my eye for the promise of an "intimate exploration of the physical and mental challenges of childbirth."

Imagine Me Gone, by Adam Haslett (Little, Brown and Company, May 3): I've never heard of Haslett, but I'm intrigued by this family-centered story told in alternating viewpoints that claims to "change how we see the most important people in our lives."

LaRose, by Louise Erdrich (Harper, May 10): Am I the last person in the world not to have read anything by Erdrich? Perhaps LaRose will change that.

The City of Mirrors, by Justin Cronin (Ballantine, May 24): I hesitated to even put this on this list, because I had really mixed feelings about The Twelve after absolutely loving The Passage... but realistically, I am at least a little bit excited to find out how Justin Cronin wraps things up with this final book of The Passage trilogy.

Sweet Lamb of Heaven, by Lydia Millet (W.W. Norton, May 3): I've been on a kick with literary thrillers of late, and this one caught my eye in the Millions book preview. It's plugged as the story of a mother fleeing her estranged husband, from Maine to Alaska. I may check this out on audio. Thoughts to come.

The Fox Was Ever the Hunter, by Herta Muller (Metropolitan Books, May 10): From the publisher: "Images of photographic precision combine into a kaleidoscope of terror as Adina and her friends struggle to keep mind and body intact in a world pervaded by complicity and permeated with fear, where it's hard to tell victim from perpetrator."

The Loney, by Andrew Michael Hurley (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, May 10): Hurley's debut novel lives somewhere between mystery, suspense, and horror--and the combination, while somewhat unexpected, works well. Kind of creepy, definitely unusual, worth checking out.

No comments

Thanks for stopping by!