Week in Reading: July 11th


It's Monday, it's a new week, and I feel like my reading priorities have shifted approximately 10 times over the last week. I finished The Tenth of December, by George Saunders, for a book club buddy read over the weekend (adored it and all its strangeness--why did I let this wallow on my shelves for so long?), and read most of The Affair, by Colette Freedman for another book club that meets this week (let me spare you the pain: it's been a long while since I read anything so overwrought, overwritten, cliche, and generally awful without adding it immediately to the DNF pile, though I do think it will make for very interesting book club discussion). I also finished The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater, following an emergency sprint to the library to secure a physical copy when I realized my library hold on the digital copy had expired 12 hours earlier than I thought it would. While I was there, I went ahead and picked up the rest of the series, because hey, why not? So Blue Lily, Lily Blue will most definitely be on my stack this week.


I've set some other books aside this week in favor of getting a head start on The New Jim Crow for next month's Social Justice Book Club book (so I can be a better host this time around!), and I'm contemplating picking up Between the World and Me, by Ta-Nehisi Coates, because in the wake of the terrible violence and killings of last week, I think both are (unfortunately) timely and important and have gone unread by yours truly for too long.

After reflecting on my progress on several reading challenges (or more like lack of progress), I really want to double down on reading my own damn books. Leah of Books Speak Volumes wrote an excellent post about loving the buzz of the new--which I do!--but I find that I take just as much enjoyment, if a slightly different enjoyment, out of reading the books on my own shelves. Of which there are a lot. And it only took a little bit of work to realize that I can finish out every category of the Read Harder challenge with books I already own. Ain't that a thing. So I'm diving into Wolf Hall for starters. Bring it on, Cromwellians.

---

What are you reading this week?


---

Won't you join us for the next round of the Social Justice Book Club? We're reading Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow, and it promises to be *excellent.* Sign up here; more details to come on a schedule and plans for the month this week!

---

No comments

Thanks for stopping by!