Social Justice Book Club: August Book will be The New Jim Crow

It is with heavy heart that I write this post after hearing of not one but two police shootings of black men this week alone. It's heartbreaking. It's absurd. It's important. I had a lot of books floating around in my head for our possible August read, but I've decided to go with The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, by Michelle Alexander. It seems (unfortunately) timely for our next pick, and though I know several past club participants have read it already, I'm hopeful it will still foster some discussion among those reading it for the first time and those revisiting the subject with the group.

Social Justice Book Club August Book Selection: The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander


We'll start up on August 1st and run through August 30th, as in previous months. It's helpful for me to have participants sign up below just so I know who's interested and participating, so link up below if you're in:

In order to better foster discussion throughout the month, would anyone be interested in:

  • A more planned-out reading schedule? (As in, Chapters 1-3 by August 10th, Chapters 4-6 by August 20th, etc.)
  • A halfway-through-the-month post with discussion questions to consider when reading/writing about the book?
  • Another author Q&A or guest post, if it can be arranged?
  • A Twitter chat at the end of the month? (Thanks to Janani for this suggestion!)
  • Something else I haven't dreamt up yet?


No comments

Thanks for stopping by!