Great Drinkin' Friday, In Which We All Play Literary Drinking Games

Happy Friday! In honor of the weekend, let's have a toast. No, several toasts. Oh hell, let's just play a literary drinking game or two. A few weeks ago, Jezebel featured an article on drinking games based on all of our favorite classics. The article stems from a NYTimes piece (also worth reading) in the Sunday Book Review that stated, "rules for drinking are not so different from rules for writing."

I would argue that these games are only further proof that bookworms are not isolated people, contrary to the NYTimes article that I discussed in my Monday post, "An Engaged and Approachable Bookworm."

As with all literary lists, some of these games are better than others. I rolled over laughing at a few, including David Foster Wallace (drink every time a sentence has three or more conjunctions) and Virginia Woolf (go buy some flowers, and then, if you have any time left, drink). I confess I've never been a huge fan of Woolf, though.

The comments section provides just as much fun as the original article. I'd add a few to the list:

James Joyce: Drink every time Joyce writes a sentence in stream of consciousness.
Dan Brown: Drink every time a sentence lacks a subject, verb, or other essential component.
Lord of the Rings: Drink every time someone goes into the woods or out of the woods.

Any more? What game will you be playing this weekend?

2 comments

  1. Haha! Literary drinking games sound like great fun! How about Palahniuk every time a gory word comes up? Or Irvine Welsh everytime someone swears? My boyfriend is reading a lot of Terry Brooks at the moment, and he's be very quickly drunk every time the characters had a 'simple breakfast of bread and cheese/berries that they found'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes! I am reading the Wheel of Time, and I could probably get drunk pretty quickly on the same basic premise.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!