The Guardian's Top Ten Train Novels

Those of you who know me personally might know that I love train travel. I know that 21st-century trains have lost the romance of earlier train lines, locomotives, etc., but that doesn't stop me and my imagine from having a grand ol' time on any train ride. There's something about riding through slums and people's backyards and vast open fields and over rivers and through tunnels that I find eye-opening... but I digress.

It seems that some great literary folk also fall into this love-for-trains category, and The Guardian recently collected a list of ten of the best railway books. Strangers on a Train has been on my radar for some time, and I've always loved Murder on the Orient Express. There were a few I hadn't heard of, and then I was surprised at the lack of Graham Greene - Travels With My Aunt (a spectacular read, by the way) focuses on a series of train travels.

Any other additions? Have you read any of these? Recommendations?

3 comments

  1. I've only read Murder on the Orient Express -- the others sound interesting though, thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonus points for Agatha Christie, I'd say. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Depression-era train novel:
    http://thepalaceat2.blogspot.com/p/a-death-at-white-camellia-orphanage.html

    &

    Bahr's "Pelican Road"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!