Post-Vacation Blues

I've just returned from a fandabulous (but altogether too short) vacation to the US Virgin Islands - St. John in particular. I spent four days boating, snorkeling (turns out I still hate snorkeling and tend to panic underwater), jumping off a pirate ship, eating fish and chips, island hopping, drinking rum drinks and basking in the sunshine. In return, I am sunburnt, congested, overtired, and have several hundred unread emails in my various inboxes.

Turtle Bay, St. John, USVI

But I don't mind a single one of those things, not really. A little aloe, a little Sudafed, and a few hours of the delete key, and I'll be good as new. No, what I find hardest about returning to the everyday after vacation is the sheer familiarity of it all. It is actually having to blow-dry your hair and pick out an outfit that doesn't involve flip-flops or a cover-up, and remembering to pack a lunch, and getting in the car and shifting in to autopilot and driving along that familiar, oh-so-familiar route to get to work.

For the first time in a long time, I did not listen to my book in the car today (I'm halfway through Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe on audio). Instead, I let my mind wander, hoping to think of something new or see something different on my standard drive to work. I've always considered my commute to be a chance to squeeze extra reading minutes out of each day, but today, for the first time, I started to wonder if it isn't just a way to keep my brain on autopilot and avoid seeing what's around me. Of course, I quickly remembered that my commute offers very little in the way of interesting sites--or sights.

I'm treating myself to a day on my dad's pier on the Severn River this weekend, book in lap and beer in hand--a little pseudo-vacation to cure my vacation withdrawal symptoms. But I sure as hell won't have this view to keep me company:

Hawksnest Bay, St. John, USVI
 

7 comments

  1. Look at that water! Jealous of your vacation (and I also panic when under water, so you're not alone there).

    Hopefully the pseudo-vacation will help with the withdrawal symptoms. It's like using a nicotine patch instead of quitting cold turkey. Baby steps to come back to the real world, especially after those views

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The water was something else - but I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in not being able to handle the whole breathing-under-water thing. It totally freaks me out!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowww! I've never been to a beach for vacation. (The beaches near where I live are awful.) One of these days, that's exactly what I want. Relaxation. Beach. Drinks. Books.

    Hope the withdrawals get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love beach vacations - plenty of reading time!

      Delete
  4. Those post-vacation blues are killer! St. John is such a beautiful island--I visited once last year for a too-short vacation--and I've love to see more photographs if you're inclined to post them. I happen to love snorkeling, but my husband gets the same panicky feeling that you do when he tries to snorkel with me.

    Was the pirate ship the one that anchors off the coast between Gallows Point and the Westin? Or had you taken a day trip to the Willy T by Norman Island in hte BVI?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post more pictures eventually - I haven't pulled them off my camera yet (these are just from my phone!). My dad has the same snorkeling issue, too. I just can't get past that panicked OMGICANTBREATHE feeling.

      The pirate ship was off Norman Island in the BVI, but I don't think it was called Willy T? But... there were several rum drinks involved, so I wasn't particularly focused on the boat's name. It was too much fun!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!