A Pre-Publication Readalong!? Telegraph Avenue, by Michael Chabon

You read that right -- a pre-publication readalong of Michael Chabon's newest novel, Telegraph Avenue, hosted by As the Crowe Flies (and Reads).

I'll be honest, I don't often participate in readalongs. Despite their appeal, I've come to recognize that my reading habits don't generally lend themselves to others' reading schedules. I read sporadically, five minutes here and five hours there, and I am a total book polygamist (I think I have eight books in progress at the moment). But because of the small group nature of this particular readalong, I thought it seemed like a good fit--plus I was intrigued by the pre-publication nature of this project. What is it like to write weekly about a book that hasn't been published yet? We'll see!

All that being said, I actually know very little about Telegraph Avenue, beside the fact that it was written by Michael Chabon. In the interest of going into this book as I would any other (that is, without researching it first), I plan to keep it that way. But here's what I do know:

- I fell in love with Michael Chabon's writing when I read Summerland years ago. I fell even more in love with it when I read Kavalier and Clay. I fell a little bit out of love when I picked up Gentlemen of the Road (which I don't think I ever finished). I haven't read Chabon's other works.

- I take Telegraph Avenue (though not the same one, as apparently the book is set in California) to get to the airport from my house.

- The cover is baller. The book is 480 pages long, and will be released on September 11, 2012.

I'll be posting Tuesday of each week through the end of July. Along the way, if you're interested in pre-ordering a copy for yourself, find one at an independent bookstore near you. Or order from Odyssey Bookshop today!

9 comments

  1. Is "baller" a good thing? 'Cause I'm out of touch with what the kids are calling things these days.

    I think everybody who is doing the readalong has read more Chabon that I have. Oh, the pressure!

    Thanks for joining the readalong! When you have a chance, can you please post a link to your post via the linky on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is definitely a good thing! I'm off to post the link in the linky now - I had this one pre-scheduled as I knew I wouldn't be able to post this morning. Not having power didn't help, either!

      Delete
  2. Read-alongs are tough for me too because I keep my own reading schedule - but I like the idea of plowing through this with a group of smart readers. Having the opportunity to lend my voice to the discussion is enough to keep me reading along at the proper pace! Looking forward to digging into this next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not alone in my reading pace issues (though they aren't generally issues except when I participate in readalongs). Looking forward to discussing as we go along!

      Delete
  3. You had me at "I am a total book polygamist" -- love that! This is my first Chabon -- I'm jazzed though given the overwhelming love folks have for him! And about two and a half years into book blogging, this will be my first readalong -- I *never* seem to get on the schedule that other folks are on! Looking forward to your thoughts as we read on...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may have pacing issues too. I only try to read one book at a time and I'm afraid of reading too fast and not having any smart commentary by the time we discuss. I may even have to take notes for as good as my memory is of late. Belle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually feel that readalongs have helped me to persist through books I otherwise might have put down. Last summer, I'm certain I would have bailed on either War and Peace or Roots, had I not committed to readalongs with blog-pals. And, although I'm excited about this novel, who knows? In the press of summer adventures, I might not have made it a priority were it not for Ms. Crowe's brilliant plan!
    Looking forward to the first chapter and our conversations next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The cover is baller." Hm. I like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover IS baller. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!