Time Flies When You're Reading Books

Egads! It's JULY!? When did this happen?

It seems the first half of the year snuck out under cover of darkness (literally, I haven't had power since Friday, so it's been a rather dark--and hot--three days), and now I'm diving in to the second half of the year. In order to keep myself accountable, here's a recap of where I stand on my goals to-date:

Balance
I challenged myself to read a more balanced selection of titles this year, spreading my reading across literary fiction, genre fiction, non-fiction and classics. To date, I have read 55 books in 2012 (20 of which were assignments for Shelf Awareness): 17 literary fiction, 13 genre fiction, 18 nonfiction and 7 classics. Ten are unfinished (eight in progress!, and 2 DNFs). Clearly, I need to up my reading of the classics.

Twenty-four of these 55 titles were written by female authors--not too bad, but not quite as balanced as I'd have hoped. Forty-one of the 55 were published in 2010 or later.

Seventeen were 400 pages or more. I've read a total of 17,786 pages, averaging 9 days per book completed.

Classics Challenge
To date, I've fulfilled 4 of the 9 categories for the Back to the Classics Challenge. I still have to read: a 19th-century classic, a classic play, a translated classic, a classic award winner, and a classic set in a country I will not visit in my lifetime. Recommendations accepted.

A Victorian Celebration!
To help with my goal of reading more classics, I also signed up to participate in A Victorian Celebration, hosted by Allie at A Literary Odyssey, pledging to read three Victorian titles in the months of June and July. I've read one so far--two more to go in July. 

26 by 26
On my 26 by 26 list, I set a goal of reading War and Peace and all of Hemingway's works before my 26th birthday. I've read 3 Hemingway titles to date, and none of War and Peace. Plus I'm thinking I should ease into Tolstoy with Anna Karenina first, so I need to get cracking.

5 comments

  1. It was too hot to read this weekend.
    I like your balance. For me, I see a title I that intrigues me at the bookstore and the book ends up on the to-read pile, (oh, yeah, I buy it. I'm just girl who can't say no.), but it doesn't always get read. Where do you find the discipline?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem - maybe it's genetic.

      Delete
  2. There's an Anna Karenina readalong going on somewhere in blogosphere right now. I'm still considering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, tempting. But I generally struggle with readalongs because I read so many books at one time, and I like to go at my own pace.

      Delete
  3. Finding balance in reading is so hard. I try to do it as well. I know I will always end up with more fiction than non-fiction but I do try to get an equal number of male and female authors. But then there is the whole other issue of only reading books written by white people...sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!